What will you be empowered to do?
Therapeutics - Drug Discovery
Scientist/Sr. Scientist, Immunology
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who We Are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team in South San Francisco leverages this data to discover and develop new treatments that can offer significant benefits for patients with serious, unmet medical needs.
This dedicated research and drug development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
We are seeking a highly motivated and innovative immunologist with drug development experience to join our growing Therapeutics team. Our ideal candidate will bring a deep expertise in chronic inflammatory diseases and hands-on experience with designing and executing comprehensive experimental plans that inform and enable project progression. You will also provide scientific and strategic leadership as well as collaborate cross-functionally for the discovery of novel therapeutics.
This position requires excellent communication, organizational and influencing skills with the ability to see issues from multiple viewpoints and understand the needs of different stakeholders.
What You’ll Do
- Provide scientific leadership of programs targeting chronic inflammatory diseases
- Lead a team to perform hands-on preclinical research in the development of therapeutics
- Lead projects on defined timelines and go/no-go decision points
- Design and execute comprehensive experimental plans that inform and enable project progression
- Establish rapport and collaborate closely with other Therapeutics teams, scientific leaders and external collaboration partners to advance therapeutic programs and strategies
- Maintain knowledge of the latest scientific advancements (e.g., competitive landscape, new technologies, emerging opportunities). Stay abreast of the relevant literature and be a subject matter expert in immunology research within Therapeutics
- Coach, mentor and manage junior scientists with broad expertise
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
- Perform other related duties as assigned
What You’ll Bring
- Ph.D. in immunology, cell biology or neuroscience a related field, with a minimum of 4 years’ post-Ph.D. experience in basic research or drug discovery preferably in immunology.
- Proven track record via high quality publications and/or patent applications
- Well-versed in the field of immunology with good knowledge of competitive environment
- Strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to effectively organize cross-functional teams and projects
- Ability to work independently, prioritize and multi-task while maintaining a positive and collaborative attitude
- Excellent analytical skills, with an ability to communicate complex issues in a straightforward way
- For Sr. Scientist level, must have experience leading multiple therapeutics projects and programs as well experience overseeing and guiding the work of junior scientists.
- Biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience
- Experience conducting research into dermatological diseases
- Experience hiring, managing and developing employees, with varying levels of experience, for performance and scientific growth
- Experience managing projects in collaboration with academia and industry
Note: Job title/level will be commensurate with experience.
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back