What will you be empowered to do?
Therapeutics - Drug Discovery
Sr. Associate Scientist / Scientist I, Functional Genomics
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who We Are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team in South San Francisco leverages this data to discover and develop new treatments that can offer significant benefits for patients with serious, unmet medical needs.
This dedicated research and drug development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
We are seeking an outstanding researcher to help build arrayed screening capabilities to realize the potential of our unparalleled genetic insights into human health and disease. You will work with our biology, computational biology and genetics groups to develop disease relevant assays suitable for high throughput interrogation of genes implicated by GWAS and translation of therapeutic candidates to the clinic. Ideal candidates will have experience developing disease relevant models in immunology, oncology and/or cardiometabolic disease as well as a strong understanding of human genetics.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with biology groups (immunology, cardiometabolic and oncology) to develop strategies and identify opportunities to apply complex, disease-relevant in vitro models to support our drug discovery efforts
- Optimize, perform, analyze and interpret arrayed genome perturbation (knockout, knockdown, over-expression) screens to support target discovery or mechanism of action studies
- Build capabilities to interrogate gene function at scale and incorporate functional data to enrich our unparalleled genetic insights
- Communicate results to project teams and broader audiences
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
What You’ll Bring
- Master’s (5+ years industry experience) or Ph.D. in biology, genetics, immunology, or related field (2+ years research experience) with a track record of high-quality publications and/or patent applications
- Expertise in developing and performing functional, cell-based assays at scale (96 or 384 well)
- General expertise in cell biology including primary cell culture, lentiviral transduction, transfection, flow cytometry/FACS and immunofluorescence microscopy
- Strong organizational skills, communication skills and the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, team environment
- Disease area knowledge in immunology, cancer biology or cardiometabolism
- Experience with organoids and/or co-cultures
- Experience with embryonic or induced pluripotent stem cells
- Experience with NGS (RNA-seq, ATAC-seq and/or ChIP-seq) experimental design, execution, analysis and interpretation
- Experience delivering genome editing components in primary cells or stem cells
- Experience with high content imaging
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back