What will you be empowered to do?
Therapeutics - Drug Discovery
Director, Complex Model Development
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who We Are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team in South San Francisco leverages this data to discover and develop new treatments that can offer significant benefits for patients with serious, unmet medical needs.
This dedicated research and drug development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
We are seeking an experienced, motivated leader to build arrayed screening capabilities to realize the potential of our unparalleled genetic insights into human health and disease. You will work with our biology, computational biology and genetics groups to develop disease relevant assays suitable for high throughput interrogation of genes implicated by GWAS and translation of therapeutic candidates to the clinic. You will build a team of researchers and infrastructure to support these efforts. Ideal candidates will have a wealth of experience developing disease relevant models in inflammation, oncology and/or cardiometabolic disease as well as a strong understanding of human genetics.
What You’ll Do
- Develop strategic plans to build capabilities to perform high-throughput, arrayed perturbation screens to support target discovery or mechanism of action studies
- Collaborate with heads of biology groups (immunology, cardiometabolic and oncology) to identify opportunities to develop and apply complex, disease-relevant in vitro models to support our drug discovery efforts
- Build and manage a team to perform high-throughput, cell-based assays
- Identify opportunities to apply functional genomics approaches to provide insights into novel genetic associations
What You’ll Bring
- Ph.D. in biology, genetics, cardiometabolism, immunology, or related field and 10+ years of experience in academic or industry setting
- Deep expertise optimizing and performing arrayed perturbation screens in mouse/human primary cells, iPSCs and cell lines
- Expertise developing assays with a range of endpoints including FACS, high content imaging, cytokine measurements and bulk and single cell transcriptomics
- Familiarity with multiple perturbation methods and required delivery technologies
- Familiarity with a range of automation technologies
- Familiarity with complex physiologically relevant in vitro model systems
- Strong organizational skills, communication skills and the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced team environment
- Experience working in a biopharmaceutical research and development organization
- Experience recruiting, mentoring and developing a team
Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials.
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back