What will you be empowered to do?
Research & Science
VP, Strategic Partnerships, Research Services
Sunnyvale, California, United States
With the world’s largest database of more than ten million genotyped customers, 23andMe is at the forefront of using human genetics to advance biomedical research and transform healthcare. We are looking for a seasoned executive from the biomedical sphere to lead
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What You’ll Do
The Vice President, Strategic Partnerships for the Research Services business will be responsible for owning and driving forward a business line of research and scientific services based on 23andMe’s unique cohort, dataset, and direct-to-consumer capabilities (“Research Services”) to partners in the pharmaceutical (discovery, development, and commercial) industry. This individual would be responsible for leading the strategy across a matrixed cross-functional team across multiple areas including Research, Therapeutics, Product, Engineering, Marketing, and Finance for strategic planning, contracting, and execution of Research Services partnerships that bring in tens of millions of dollars of revenue.
Who You Are
You are a seasoned leader with a demonstrated ability to create and execute on a clear and compelling strategic vision for 23andMe’s Research Services. A strong scientific background in a relevant biomedical field is required and a significant track record of strategic leadership and delivering financial value in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry. You must have an excellent understanding of the business needs of the pharmaceutical industry and a passion for identifying and delivering strategic partnerships that prioritize the needs of our customers and patients. You will be successful in this role if you can inspire and lead teams, think creatively, and grow business revenue. You have the ability to influence without authority and the ability to manage diverse stakeholders in a highly cross-functional and matrixed organization. Equally important is a growth mindset and curiosity to learn in a boundary-pushing environment where the next deal may never have been done before.
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor’s, preferably in the life sciences. MD/PhD or MS+MBA in a relevant field preferred
- A minimum of 12 years of experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry in business development, commercial strategy, or R&D. 5+ years in a senior strategic role
- Direct exposure to commercial teams, product planning, and late stage development projects in biotech/pharma
- Experience in multiple therapeutic areas is preferred
- Experience negotiating and executing partnerships
- Strategic thinking with outstanding business instincts, can help chart the course and can translate plans into value-creating results for the company
- Ability to apply critical, strategic, and scientific/technical thinking to unstructured situations to make sound business judgments
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects and teams with attention to detail, and to influence without authority
- Track record of leading multi-million dollar projects
- Resourceful self-starter with strong alignment with 23andMe’s core values
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment and a bias towards 'win-win' collaboration at all levels
- Also of value:
- Significant record of successful transactions and an extensive network of industry contacts
- Track record of owning, driving, and closing projects from inception to execution, to include valuation, diligence, deal engineering and leading negotiations
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back