What will you be empowered to do?
MYSQL Sr. Database Engineer
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Join our growing Data Platform Engineering team and enjoy a collaborative environment with Software Engineering, Product Security, Business Analytics, and Research & Therapeutic teams working on a variety of tasks and projects ranging from managing databases, developing the data infrastructure & pipelines, building automation, and driving infrastructure as code deployments. You will be working with us to ensure that 23andMe operates with a high performing, highly available, secured, scalable and manageable enterprise data platform.
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What You'll Do:
- Design, build and manage RDS for MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, SQL Server in AWS Cloud
- Build and manage Redshift data warehousing service
- Drive the Infrastructure as Code (IoC) deployments
- Design, develop and maintain data replication, backup, and disaster recovery strategies
- Ensure security, privacy, and data integrity across all service accounts
- Optimize and tune database performance
- Perform database capacity and usage planning
- Build tools to empower operation automation
- Perform routine scheduled and occasionally un-scheduled maintenance
- Work cross-functionally with Consumer Product Engineering, Research, Data Governance, Production Security, IT to deliver on strategic projects as well as maintain operational excellence of owned services
- Implement, document, and maintain database best practice
- Be a part of on-call rotation team
What You'll Bring
- Expertise knowledge of SQL
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent/related field
- 10+ years of DB administration in production environment
- Experience with AWS RDS, Redshift, EC2, S3 services
- Experience with managing infrastructure with code
- Strong knowledge of DB performance tuning
- Experience with database backup, restoration, and DR planning and execution
- Experience with at least one major scripting language
- Previous on-call experience
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.
23andMe takes a market-based approach to pay, and amounts will vary depending on your geographic location. The salary range reflected here is for a candidate based in the San Francisco Bay Area. The successful candidate’s starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, and market conditions. These ranges may be modified in the future.