Join our gene pool.
Therapeutics - South San Francisco, CA
Sr. Scientist, Pathology and/or Toxicology
South San Francisco, CA, United States
Genetic testing makes it possible for each of us to understand our bodies in ways that were unimaginable only ten years ago. 23andMe continues to lead the way in making this information accessible, understandable and actionable for our customers, most of whom have consented to participate in research. This consumer-driven research model is powered by a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information that has the potential to improve human health through advances in genomics.
23andMe's Therapeutics team is committed to discovering and developing new therapies that can offer significant benefits for patients. This dedicated research and development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database, generates lead compounds for these targets and performs preclinical research to advance programs for clinical development. The team currently has research programs across several therapeutic areas, including oncology, skin, respiratory and cardiovascular disease.
We are seeking an accomplished Senior Scientist with an expertise in pathology and/or toxicology to provide scientific leadership and hands-on support to our project teams from target validation to IND filing to clinical development. In this newly created role, you will have the opportunity to influence and make a substantial impact on our programs across multiple disease areas as the scientific leader in Preclinical Safety Assessment.
We welcome pathologists who are motivated to expand their professional horizons to preclinical toxicology and regulatory filing. We equally welcome toxicologists who have a passion for biology and scientific research. This role will report directly to the Director of Preclinical Development and Clinical Pharmacology.
What you'll do
- Collaborate and advise project teams during the research stage concerning pathology-related study design, tissue selection, clinical pathology and histopathology interpretations
- Guide project teams during the research stage by providing expert analysis and evaluation of the potential safety and toxicity liabilities of biologic pathways of interest
- Develop toxicology strategies and key safety criteria for drug development programs to support each program’s progression through different stages, including “No Go” decisions
- Help identify and hire appropriate consultants as needed
- Ensure appropriate and timely design, initiation, execution and reporting of preclinical safety studies (exploratory and GLP), conducted both in-house and at CROs
- Ensure compliance with appropriate regulatory guidelines and standards
- Serve as a key member of the IND filing team; responsible for writing toxicology related sections of the IND as well as interacting with regulatory agencies
- Represent the Preclinical Safety Assessment function on development teams and support the design and implementation of clinical programs
We hope you have
- PhD, MD, or equivalent in pathology, toxicology or related discipline
- 6+ years of pathology and/or toxicology experience in pharmaceutical/biotechnology drug development
- Strong interest in research and the ability to initiate, collaborate and lead teams to address scientific issues
- Experience interacting with US and/or international health authorities
- Excellent communication, organizational and leadership skills with an ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM), Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Pathologists (DACVP) or Diplomate of the American Board of Toxicology (DABT) certification
- Familiarity with GLP regulations
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://mediacenter.23andme.com/therapeutics/.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.