Join our gene pool.
Director/Fellow - Target Discovery
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team uses this data to discover and develop novel medicines to treat important diseases. The team currently has research programs across several therapeutic areas, including oncology, skin, respiratory and cardiovascular disease.
We are seeking a highly motivated and collaborative Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. Director to lead target discovery and validation efforts using human genetics and genomics, including the 23andMe GWAS database. Our successful candidate will be someone who is inspired and driven to discover and develop treatments for patients with serious unmet medical needs.
This role will report to the VP, Drug Discovery and will partner with key stakeholders in Therapeutics and Research to discover and develop target hypotheses based on compelling human genetics. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
What you’ll do
- Leadership of 23andMe therapeutics new target discovery efforts. This is a key position within discovery, collaborating with Statistical Genetics, Computational Biology, Development physicians and Discovery biology Scientists to identify target hypotheses and build a robust early portfolio from our GWAS and PheWas database covering a range of therapeutic areas
- Formulating and implementing appropriate strategies to identify and prioritize phenotypes, targets and pathways identified by analysis of our GWAS and PheWAS databases and the scientific literature
- Scientific and operational leadership of nominated targets including leading peer review processes and prioritization discussions with Therapeutics leadership
- Building collaborative relationships with key internal stakeholders cross-functionally
- Setting direction and managing external target discovery and drug development research efforts
- Contribute to the leadership of the Drug Discovery organization, including modeling strategic, organizational and cultural best behaviors
- Recruiting, managing, and retaining a talented group of scientists
- Establishing and contributing to a culture that values inclusion, diversity and scientific rigor
- Responsibility for leading joint scientific teams with our collaboration partner, GSK
What you’ll bring
- PhD or MD/PhD in biological or clinical sciences with demonstrated success in identifying and advancing programs in more than one therapeutic area
- Expertise in target discovery from human genetics and genomics
- Excellent communication and cross-functional leadership
- Experience building teams and coaching and mentoring more junior scientists
- Experience in industry drug discovery preferred, including exposure to small and large molecule and other therapeutic modalities
- Working knowledge of GWAS, target mining/validation and functional genomics
- Experience in cross-managing/leading external collaborations with both academic and industry partners
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 10 million customers worldwide, with ~80 percent of customers consented to participate in research.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.