Last Updated: June 8, 2022
1. What are Cookies?
There are two types of cookies: session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie lasts while your browser is open and is automatically deleted when you close your browser. A persistent cookie lasts until you or your browser deletes the cookies, or they expire.
|Category of Cookies||Why We Use These Cookies|
|Necessary||We use these cookies to provide our Services, and to detect, prevent and mitigate security risks. For example, we use these types of cookies to help you authenticate into your account securely, or to enable you to move around this site and use its features.|
|Functional||We use these cookies to help you do things on our Services, remember your settings and preferences, and to improve your experience on our Services, like providing enhanced features and content to you. For example, these cookies can be used to remember your language choice or country selection, or give you referral credits when you deserve them.|
|Performance & Analytics||We use these cookies to understand how you use our Services, monitor site performance, and improve our Services and your experience. For example, these cookies allow us to know which pages are visited the most often, how people are moving from one link to another and if they get error messages from certain pages.|
|Advertising & Marketing||We use these cookies to deliver advertisements, to make them more relevant to you and your interests, and to measure efficiency of advertising communications and marketing campaigns. For example, these cookies remember that you have visited a website and this information may be shared with other organizations such as third party advertisers.|
3. What are my privacy options?
- Via our cookie management tool If you are located in certain jurisdictions where our cookie management tool is available, such as the European Union or the United States, you can access the tool by clicking “Cookie Settings”. Our cookie management tool allows you to make certain choices regarding cookies that are not “Necessary” cookies. For example, if you choose not to enable certain Cookies, you may not be able to use the referral links and get credit for referrals or share information on our Services through social media platforms.
- Via your browser settings You can use the browser or device that you are using to view this site to enable, disable or delete first and third-party cookies.
Please note, to disable advertising cookies, some third parties may need to set an opt-out cookie on your device. Sometimes a device’s configuration may prevent such third parties from setting such cookies, for example, if your device is set to block all third party cookies by default. This means that you may need to change your device settings to accept cookies to fully disable advertising cookies. Please also note, we do not support the Do Not Track browser option.
4. How does 23andMe use third party social plugins?
23andMe uses social plugins provided and operated by third parties, such as a Facebook “share” button. If you choose to use social plugins, you may be sharing information with the company that manages the social plugins (“Social Media Third Party”) during your interactions. This means that the Social Media Third Party may be able to link information or actions about your interactions with the 23andMe Services to your account with them. Please refer to the Social Media Third Party’s privacy policies to learn more about its data practices.
6. Where can I learn more?
For more information, you can review the following resources:
- If you would like to learn more about cookies, including how to change your browser settings, please visit www.allaboutcookies.org
- If you would like more information about cookies and targeted advertisements or to opt out of having this information used by companies that are part of the Network Advertising Initiative, please visit www.networkadvertising.org/choices or the Digital Advertising Alliance, please visit youradchoices.com/control.