Join our gene pool.
2020 Summer Internships
Therapeutics Intern - Small Molecule Target Discovery
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from
the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s
possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
Our Therapeutics team uses the genetic data to discover and develop novel medicines to treat
important diseases. The team currently has research programs across several therapeutic
areas, including oncology, skin, respiratory and cardiovascular disease.
What you’ll do
- Design and conduct molecular, biochemical, enzymology experiments to support target validation and advance small molecule therapeutic programs
- Support small molecule drug discovery hit validation efforts, including biochemical assays for potency determination, mechanism of inhibition, and structure-activity-relationship
- Generate, analyze, document and present results of experiments within-group and project team meetings
- Thorough recording of experimental details using electronic notebook software
What you’ll learn
- Gain exposure to small molecule drug discovery and development process
- Understand the principles of target validation, hit identification, and secondary assay follow up
- Biochemical/cell-based assays and screening techniques for potency determination and structure-activity-response
- Experience working in an industrial laboratory environment
Who you are
- Beginner-level technical laboratory skills including sterile technique, pipette operation, and basic instrumentation experience (e.g. UV-Vis, thermocycler, analytical balance)
- High attention to detail and diligent record-keeping, adaptable with an eagerness/motivation to learn
- Strong organizational and communication skills with the ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Must be enrolled in an academic program pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Molecular and Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Pharmaceutical biology or related field.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
Join the gene pool as part of 23andMe’s Summer Intern Class of 2020! Our Summer Internship Program is full-time for 12 weeks and provides opportunities to be involved in work that’s impactful at a mission-driven company. All internship opportunities are based in the San Francisco Bay Area. The expected start dates are in May or June depending on your school schedule. Please note, students will be responsible for their own housing and relocation. All applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 10 million customers worldwide, with ~80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.