Join our gene pool.
Scientist I / Scientist II, Computational Biology
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from research participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team based in South San Francisco uses this unparalleled dataset to discover and develop novel treatments for patients with serious unmet needs.
Biological interpretation of genetic signals available to 23andMe requires computational methods to analyze high-throughput functional data, development of tools that integrate genetics and functional genomics to drive target discovery, and summarizing the results in ways that enable efficient decision making.
More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
Who you are
We are looking for a quantitative scientist with extensive experience in computational biology and genetics. Ideal candidates will have experience analyzing large public or internally generated genomic datasets using the best practices in machine learning or statistics, and in analysis of e/p/sQTL studies. They will use rigorous quantitative reasoning, creativity, and understanding of human biology to develop computational tools that augment our genetic and phenotypic database and facilitate interpretation of genetic associations. Our team is very collaborative, and the ability to communicate ideas and results to other scientists is key.
What you’ll bring
- Ph.D. in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Statistics or a related field
- Experience in analysis of e/p/sQTL studies
- Strong quantitative skills and a background in statistical data analysis or machine learning
- Hands-on experience working with very large genomic datasets
- Demonstrated fluency with tools and methods for processing functional sequencing data (RNA-seq, ATAC-seq, ChIP-seq or similar). WGS a plus.
- Experience in writing robust code; strong programming skills in R or python
- Ability to work in a dynamic team oriented environment
- Good communication skills and an ability to convey complex QTL results to colleagues from a wide range of scientific backgrounds
- Extensive experience in writing robust code in a shared development environment
- Contribution to an open source project, especially in R
Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 10 million customers worldwide, with ~80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back