Join our gene pool.
Sr. Associate Scientist / Scientist I, Lab Automation
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team uses this data to discover and develop novel medicines to treat important diseases. The team currently has research programs across several therapeutic areas, including oncology, skin, respiratory and cardiovascular disease.
We are seeking an outstanding Sr. Associate Scientist to Scientist level candidate to join a collaborative, multi-functional Therapeutics team aspiring to discover and develop innovative medicines to help patients. The successful candidate will be a self-motivated, independent and creative researcher with a high degree of analytical and troubleshooting skills.
For more information about our Therapeutics team, please visit https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
What you’ll do
- Identify, install and maintain a fit-for-purpose high throughput small scale antibody/protein expression and purification automation system
- Identify, program, calibrate, maintain and troubleshoot liquid handlers, bulk liquid dispensers and dilutors (e.g. Hamiltons), multi-plate readers, and high content imaging analysis instrument
- Train and assist team members to use automation equipment to conduct medium throughput biochemical and cell-based assays
- Consult/support researchers on establishing automatization to optimize workflows
- Participate in building a fit-for-purpose Biologic and Chemo-informatics platform to facilitate access of pharmacology data, methods, and QC by working with our Computational Biology and IT teams
- Analyze, record and communicate data/information to propagate the use of automation in appropriate team meetings
- Communicate effectively and work collaboratively with other colleagues to support the progression of projects
What you’ll bring
- Bachelor’s degree in biomedical engineering or in biological sciences with at least 5 years of automation experience in a biochemistry/chemistry research environment. Advanced degree is a plus.
- Hands-on experience in automation software programming and in integrating workstations and its auxiliary hardware
- Goal oriented and strong analytical skills
- Excels at multi-tasking and enjoys working with multiple colleagues at a given time
- Demonstrated ability to work in team environment, with strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to report relevant results/issues to project teams and management and identify resolution action plan
- Industry experience
- Experience in assay development and/or molecular pharmacology
Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 10 million customers worldwide, with ~80 percent of customers consented to participate in research.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.