Join our gene pool.
Legal and Regulatory Affairs
South San Francisco, California, United States
23andMe is seeking a highly motivated, experienced Patent Agent to join the legal department to implement and develop strategy and protection of intellectual property related to 23andMe’s large and small molecule therapeutic programs and Personal Genome Services. You are adept at providing relevant and clear guidance, including patentability, freedom-to-operate, infringement and validity analyses, and risk evaluation and mitigation strategies to scientists and business leaders in support of business objectives and decision-making.
In addition to your patent agent work, you will also perform general duties of a patent and trademark paralegal. You are exceedingly well-organized, flexible and enjoy challenges of working on diverse issues daily. You are a collaborative partner, work rapidly, diligently and independently with minimal direction.
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you'll do
- Perform global patent preparation and prosecution, portfolio development and management, patent searching and/or landscaping, patent diligence assessments, freedom-to-operate, infringement and validity analyses, and risk evaluation and mitigation strategies
- Advise the business stakeholders on patent strategies, risk, and associated mitigation strategies
- Manages external relationships with outside counsel and collaborators
- Act as a key resource for outside patent counsel and patent vendors, while managing coordination and communication with internal business stakeholders
- Lead development and implementation of patent operational processes, as needed, such as patent formalities and official inventor Declarations and Assignments
- Monitor timelines to ensure timely execution of patent deadlines
What you'll bring
- Admission to practice before United States Patent and Trademark Office (required)
- 5+ years of experience practicing large molecule patent law (required)
- Experience in all aspects of U.S. and foreign intellectual property law relating to biotechnology, in the pharmaceutical industry with a law firm or corporation
- Undergraduate and masters or advanced degree in biology or biochemistry (required)
- Expert analytical, legal drafting and verbal and written communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate with business stakeholders across the organization
- Strong counseling skills with a client service focus, keen attention to detail and the ability to work independently and in teams; strong organizational skills; the ability to prioritize, work efficiently or multi-task, and to be agile and meet aggressive deadlines
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the mission of the company is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by Glassdoor as one of the Best Places to Work in 2019, MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe, Inc. is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.