Join our gene pool.
Associate Scientist / Sr. Associate Scientist, Biology
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
23andMe's Therapeutics team is committed to discovering and developing new therapies that can offer significant benefits for patients. This dedicated research and development group in South San Francisco identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs for disease areas with high unmet need.
We are seeking an outstanding Associate Scientist or Senior Associate Scientist to join a collaborative, cross-functional team focused on the biological characterization of drug targets and the preclinical development of drug compounds. Successful candidates will have experience applying molecular and cell biology approaches to elucidate target function and drug mechanism of action.
More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
What you’ll do
- Perform experimental investigation of the biological function of drug targets in cardiovascular, immunology and other therapeutic areas
- Execution of cell-based and biochemical assays to assess drug mechanism of action, activity, and potency
- Develop, validate, and optimize new assays as required
- Interpret, record, and present complex biological data in group meetings and other company meetings
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with colleagues, and maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
What you’ll bring
- Bachelor's (+ 6 years' related experience), Master's (+ 4 years' related experience) or PhD in biological sciences or related field
- A strong track record of productivity and effective collaboration on complex projects
- Hands-on experience with a broad range of cell and biochemical assays, molecular biology and mammalian cell culture techniques
- Experience with fluorescence microscopy and image processing, FACS, primary cell isolation, tissue collection and processing
- Proactive and highly self-motivated with strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organization skills with the ability to work independently and in a fast-paced team environment
- Biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience
- PhD in Biological Sciences
- Deep knowledge of at least one of the following areas: cardiovascular disease, immunology, or cancer biology
- Experience with rodent models of human disease
Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the mission of the company is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by Glassdoor as one of the Best Places to Work in 2019, MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe, Inc. is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.