Join our gene pool.
Scientist I / Scientist II, Computational Biology
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
Our Therapeutics team, which was established more than five years ago, has been actively identifying novel drug targets using 23andMe’s unparalleled database and developing a portfolio across several therapeutic areas, including oncology and cardiovascular and metabolic disease. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
We are looking for a quantitative scientist with extensive experience in computational biology. Ideal candidates will have demonstrated experience conducting creative and independent research analyzing a broad range of public or internally generated genomic datasets, with an emphasis on understanding the underlying biology.
Join our collaborative, cross-functional research team focused on discovery of novel therapeutic targets and their development in our laboratories!
What you’ll do
- Biological interpretation of genetic signals available to 23andMe, which requires computational methods to analyze high-throughput functional data
- Development of tools and reports that integrate genetics and functional genomics to drive target discovery and summarizing the results in ways that enable efficient decision making
- Extend existing target discovery efforts to incorporate additional data types and novel analysis methods; work toward identifying clinically relevant disease subtypes and associated therapeutic targets; and contribute to on-going therapeutic development programs
- Communicate ideas and results to other scientists
What you’ll bring
- Ph.D. in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Genetics or a related field
- Knowledge of biology in at least one disease-relevant area (e.g., cardiovascular diseases, oncology, immunology, etc.)
- Hands-on experience in analysis of RNA-seq or microarrays, and other large scale omics datasets
- Fluency with tools and methods for processing functional sequencing data (RNA-seq, ATAC-seq, ChIP-seq or similar)
- Strong quantitative skills and a background in statistical data analysis or machine learning
- Experience in writing robust code in R or python
- Exceptional communication skills, with an ability to convey complex computational results to colleagues from a wide range of life sciences backgrounds
- Ability to work in a dynamic team-oriented environment
- Industry experience in pharmaceuticals or biotechnology
- Expertise in genetics and/or fine mapping of genetic association signals
- Extensive experience in writing robust code in a shared development environment
Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the mission of the company is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by Glassdoor as one of the Best Places to Work in 2019, MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe, Inc. is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.