What will you be empowered to do?
Associate Scientist / Sr. Associate Scientist, Antibody & Protein Engineering
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who We Are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team in South San Francisco leverages this data to discover and develop new treatments that can offer significant benefits for patients with serious, unmet medical needs.
This dedicated research and drug development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
We are seeking a talented Associate Scientist or Sr. Associate Scientist to contribute to the expression, purification, and characterization of antibodies and proteins across our Therapeutics portfolio.
What You'll Do
- Express antibodies and proteins in mammalian, insect and bacterial cells
- Perform transient and stable mammalian cell transfections
- Maintain mammalian cell culture and generate stable cell lines for antibody production
- Purify antibodies and proteins using various purification techniques and perform protein analytics (HPLC, SDS-PAGE, SEC, DLS, etc.)
- Plan and execute experiments independently and under supervision. Analyze and interpret results, providing clear communication of data in group meetings, project team meetings, and other forums
- Communicate and collaborate with other colleagues effectively
What You'll Bring
- Bachelor's (+ min of 4 years' related experience) or Master's (+ min of 2 years' related experience) in Molecular Biology, Protein Engineering, Antibody Engineering, Structural Biology, or related field or a Ph.D. with research experience in the same fields with successful record of accomplishments and publications
- Hands-on experience in mammalian and bacterial cell culture
- Demonstrated experience in protein purification using AKTA
- Experience in transfection of mammalian cells (transient and stable)
- Strong technical expertise in wide range of protein expression, purification, and biophysical characterization techniques including familiarity with molecular biology and protein engineering techniques
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Critical thinking with high degree of innovative and analytical skills
- Industry experience in antibody and protein engineering research
- Demonstrated experience in protein purification using Agilent HPLC systems
- Working knowledge of protein biochemistry and antibody biology
- Working knowledge of automation or liquid handlers
- Working knowledge of protein interaction characterization (ELISA, BIAcore, Octet)
Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials.
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back