What will you be empowered to do?
IT & Security
AWS Software Engineer - Data Applications
Sunnyvale, California, United States
As an AWS Software Engineer - Data Applications at 23andMe, you will be responsible for designing, building and maintaining cloud-based data solutions and applications within our AWS environment. You will be part of our Data Applications team, within the Data Technology and Infrastructure (DTI) team. DTI’s focus is to build Data tools, environments and technologies for our Research and Therapeutics team, to develop cutting edge technologies for genetics data and drug discovery. You will report directly to the Data Applications Lead, and work closely with our Enterprise Security, IT, and others teams to help ensure all our deployments follow our AWS standards and security policies.
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and drug discoveries.
What You'll Do
- Supporting and building cutting edge technologies for Research data and Drug Discovery
- Build, design and maintain secure data centric applications and services within our AWS environments
- Design and implement data engineering ingestion and validation architecture
- Ensure quality and performance of data pipeline by establishing metrics and dashboards to inform stakeholders
- Develop and maintain scalable and reproducible infrastructure.
- Work directly with team lead, scientists and researchers to understand requirements and enumerate scope.
- Work with Technical Program Managers as well as Data Platform Engineering and AWS Engineering teams to build AWS native services such as RDS, Lambda, S3, Athena, Redshift to support Therapeutic Drug Discovery
- Stay current with new data technology options and vendor products, evaluating which ones would be a good fit for the company.
What You'll Bring
- 3 years minimum of experience as a Software Development Engineer within AWS
- 2 year minimum of hands-on experience with Data Engineering applications and infrastructure in AWS
- Strong experience with Python required
- Strong experience with AWS Lambda required
- Experience with AWS Glue, Events Bridge, S3, RDS, RedShift
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (Terraform Preferred)
- Strong familiarity with continuous integration and continuous deployment.
- Strong focus on Security and Data Integrity
- Bonus: Experience with Cloudcustodian or other AWS auto-remediation platforms.
- Bonus: Experience with Data in Life Sciences, Genetics and Bioinformatics
Communication and interpersonal skills:
- Proven focus on teamwork and collaborative interaction in a multi-team dynamic, including use of collaboration software.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Can-do attitude, motivation and ability to prioritize and execute tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ownership of solutions from researching and fact-finding to implementation.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the mission of the company is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by Glassdoor as one of the Best Places to Work in 2019, MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe, Inc. is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back