Join our gene pool.
Research & Science
Statistical Genetics Intern (Remote)
Sunnyvale, California, United States
A key challenge in genome-wide association studies (GWASs) is to identify the causal variant in a locus. These fine-mapping efforts can be bolstered by incorporating functional genomics data, such as whether a variant lies in a protein coding sequence, an untranslated region, or a promoter. We are looking for a statistical genetics intern for summer 2021 to use fine-mapping software to pinpoint causal variants and identify the genomic annotations that are most relevant for a given GWAS. Your work will push forward genetic research and efforts to identify novel drug targets.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you’ll do
- Replicate published fine-mapping findings using publicly available data and software
- Apply these methods to public GWAS data for the disease(s) that interest you most to identify new causal variants
- Generate reports that show how these methods affects fine-mapping results
- Investigate the functional annotations linked to candidate causal variants
Who you are
- Currently pursuing a PhD degree, preferably in Computational Biology, Statistics, Computer Science or a related quantitative field
- Skilled at programming in Python and/or R
- Solid understanding of statistical genetics concepts and Bayesian statistics
- Previous experience with functional annotation data (e.g. ENCODE) is preferable
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the mission of the company is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by Glassdoor as one of the Best Places to Work in 2019, MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back