Find out what your DNA says about you and your family.
- See how your DNA breaks out across 1500+ regions worldwide
- Discover DNA relatives from around the world
- Share reports with family and friends
- Learn how your DNA influences your facial features, taste, smell and other traits
23 pairs of chromosomes.
One unique you.
Start experiencing your 23 pairs
You are made of cells. And the cells in your body have 23 pairs of chromosomes. Your chromosomes are made of DNA, which can tell you a lot about you. Explore your 23 pairs today.
How it works.
It's just saliva.
Provide your saliva sample from home. Mail it back to our lab in the same kit it came in—the postage is pre-paid.
We bring your genetics to you.
Our lab. CLIA-certified.
Your DNA analysis is performed in US laboratories that are certified to meet CLIA standards—the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments of 1988.
A CLIA-certified lab must meet certain quality standards, including qualifications for individuals who perform the test and other standards that ensure the accuracy and reliability of results.
We use leading technology to genotype your DNA—a custom version of the lllumina Global Screening Array.
Customer Stories. Genetic Journeys.
We hear from thousands of customers around the world who write in to tell us about their 23andMe experience—and the impact it has had on their life.
23andMe was founded in 2006 to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome.
We have more than five million genotyped customers around the world.
Due to applicable regulations, 23andMe only offers an Ancestry + Traits Personal Genetic Service in international markets and health reports are not available. The service is in English only. It requires submitting a saliva sample using our saliva collection kit that you send to the lab for analysis.
Our Ancestry + Traits Service helps you understand who you are, where your DNA comes from and your family story. We analyze, compile and distill your DNA information into reports on your Ancestry Composition, Ancestry Detail Reports, Traits, Haplogroups, and Neanderthal Ancestry. We also provide a DNA Relatives tool to enable you to connect with relatives who share similar DNA, and an automatic Family Tree builder.
Our rigorous quality standards include:
- All saliva samples are processed in CLIA-certified and CAP-accredited labs
- Genotyping is a well-established and reliable platform for analyzing DNA
- Our team of scientists and medical experts uses a robust process to develop reports to ensure validity
- Your personalized reports are based on well-established scientific research
- Ancestry percentages are derived from our powerful, well-tested system that provides you with ancestry estimates down to the 0.1%
You choose how your genetic information is used and shared with others. We tell you how those choices are implemented and how we collect, use and disclose your information.
- We will not share your individual-level information with any third party without your explicit consent
- We have been long-time supporters of legislative efforts intended to prevent genetic discrimination and to safeguard individuals' genetic privacy and will not provide your information or results to employers or health insurance companies. In the US, we were active in the development of the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA) enacted in 2008. In addition, we were an active supporter of S-201 in Canada
- We have guidelines and policies in place to protect the personal information of children as well as incapacitated or deceased individuals
- We do not provide information to law enforcement unless we are required to comply with a valid subpoena or a court-ordered request