Join our gene pool.
Associate Scientist / Sr. Associate Scientist, Functional Genomics
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
23andMe's Therapeutics team is committed to discovering and developing new therapies that can offer significant benefits for patients. This dedicated research and development group in South San Francisco identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs for disease areas with high unmet need.
We are seeking an outstanding Associate Scientist or Sr. Associate Scientist to join a collaborative, cross-functional research team to find novel therapeutics to treat unmet medical needs. Successful candidates will be independent and creative researchers with the ability to apply a variety of genomic perturbation techniques to cell lines and primary cells to support early research programs in immuno-oncology, immunology, oncology and other disease areas.
More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
What you’ll do
- Design and carry out genomic perturbation experiments and downstream functional assays in cell lines and primary cells
- Develop and establish methods for delivering effectors and monitoring genomic perturbation efficiency in a variety of cell types
- Collaborate with therapeutic leads to address critical questions for target ID, validation or mechanism of action studies
- Document results in ELN and present results at internal and external meetings
What you’ll bring
- Bachelor's (+ min of 5 years’ industry experience), Master’s (+ min of 3 years’ industry experience), or PhD in Biology, Genetics, Immunology, or related field, with a demonstrated record of applying genomic perturbation approaches
- Technical expertise in molecular biology including cloning, DNA and RNA purification, sequencing and diverse PCR methods
- Cell biology expertise including mammalian cell culture, single cell cloning, lentiviral transduction, electroporation, transfection and running functional cell-based assays
- Excellent communication and organization skills with the ability to work independently and in a fast-paced team environment
- Experience with flow cytometry / FACS
- Experience with pooled or arrayed genomic perturbation screens
- Experience with single-cell RNA-seq
- Experience with omics data analysis and visualization skills such as Perl, Python and/or R
Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the mission of the company is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by Glassdoor as one of the Best Places to Work in 2019, MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.