Join our gene pool.
Sr. Associate Scientist / Scientist I, Functional Genomics
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
23andMe's Therapeutics team is committed to discovering and developing new therapies that can offer significant benefits for patients. This dedicated research and development group in South San Francisco identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs for disease areas with high unmet need.
We are seeking a highly motivated Sr. Associate Scientist or Scientist I to join a collaborative, cross-functional research team committed to the discovery and development of novel therapeutics. Successful candidates will be independent and creative researchers with the ability to apply a variety of functional genomics approaches, including but not limited to single cell RNA-seq, to early research programs in immuno-oncology, immunology, oncology and other disease areas.
More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
What you’ll do
- Generate, visualize, interpret and present omics data sets including but not limited to bulk and single-cell RNA-seq, ChIP-seq, ATAC-seq and MPRA
- Develop and establish novel methods for variant to gene mapping and gene to function studies using a range of genomic perturbation technologies
- Collaborate with therapeutic leads and computational biologists to design and analyze functional genomics experiments to address critical questions for target ID, validation or mechanism of action studies
- Identify opportunities to apply functional genomics approaches to provide insights into novel genetic associations
What you’ll bring
- PhD (+ min of 2 years' experience), Master’s (+min of 5 years' experience) or Bachelor’s (+ min of 7 years’ experience) in Biology, Genetics, Immunology or related field with a proven track record of applying functional genomics technologies
- Strong technical expertise in molecular biology including NGS library preparation, 10X Genomics scRNA-seq platform, cloning, DNA and RNA purification and diverse PCR methods
- Cell biology expertise including mammalian cell culture, lentiviral transduction, transfection and running functional cell-based assays
- Familiarity with languages such as Perl, Python and/or R for running omics data analysis pipelines and visualization of those data
- Excellent organizational and communication skills with the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced team environment
- Experience with CROPseq or Perturbseq
- Experience with flow cytometry/FACS
- Experience leading cross-disciplinary project teams
- Experience managing people
Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the mission of the company is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by Glassdoor as one of the Best Places to Work in 2019, MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.