Join our gene pool.
Director, Immuno-Oncology Research
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team uses this data to discover and develop novel medicines to treat important diseases. The team currently has research programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases.
Who you are
We are seeking a highly motivated and collaborative Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D. Director to lead target and drug discovery efforts in immuno-oncology using human genetics and genomics, leveraging 23andMe's GWAS database. Our ideal candidate is inspired and driven to discover and develop treatments for patients with serious unmet medical need. You will have a proven track record of developing oncology/immuno-oncology therapeutics.
This position will report to the Vice President, Discovery and Translational Research and partner with key stakeholders in Therapeutics and Research to discover and develop target hypotheses based on compelling human genetics.
More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
What you’ll do
- Scientific leadership and management of the Immuno-Oncology Discovery team including providing strategic direction, developing and implementing work efforts, fostering a collaborative environment, and managing resources to meet goals.
- Work closely with the Therapeutics Leadership team to deliver on a pipeline from new target discovery, validation, therapeutic candidate selection through to first in human stage.
- As part of the Discovery Leadership team, will be responsible for setting goals, and contributing to, communicating and supporting, all site-wide initiatives to their team.
- Effectively partner with other discovery and translational biology colleagues as well as colleagues in support functions (including antibody and protein engineering, in vivo pharmacology and early clinical development and project leadership) to advance preclinical development of therapeutic candidates to early clinical development.
- Collaborate with Biomarker Translation and Development Sciences to support translational and biomarker hypotheses to be evaluated in the preclinical and clinical stages.
- Represent the IO Discovery group in discussions with external collaborators/companies with membership on joint scientific committees as appropriate.
- Recruit, manage, and develop a talented group of scientists.
- Manage productive conflict among scientists advocating for their differing perspectives and helping the collective organization to succeed.
- Contribute and foster a culture that values diversity, equity, inclusion, and scientific rigor.
What you’ll bring
- PhD or MD/PhD in oncology, immunology or cancer immunology with demonstrated success in identifying and advancing programs in oncology and immuno-oncology
- Exceptional communication, interpersonal and influencing skills with the ability to see issues from multiple viewpoints and understand needs of different stakeholders
- Proven experience with building, leading and managing teams, including coaching/mentoring more junior scientists
- Experience in industry drug discovery preferred, including exposure to small and large molecule and other therapeutic modalities
- Experience in cross-managing/leading external collaborations with both academic and industry partners
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 10 million customers worldwide, with ~80 percent of customers consented to participate in research.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.