Join our gene pool.
Research Fellow / Director, Immunology
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
23andMe has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team uses this data to discover and develop novel medicines to treat important diseases.
We are seeking a highly motivated and innovative immunologist with drug development experience to join our growing Therapeutics team. Our ideal candidate will bring a deep expertise in immunology and autoimmune diseases along with hands-on experience with designing and executing comprehensive experimental plans that inform and enable project progression. You will also provide scientific and strategic leadership as well as collaborate cross-functionally for the discovery of novel therapeutics.
This position requires excellent communication, organizational and influencing skills with the ability to see issues from multiple viewpoints and understand needs of different stakeholders.
More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
What you’ll do
- Provide scientific leadership of programs targeting autoimmune and inflammatory diseases
- Lead a team to perform hands-on preclinical research in the development of biologics or small molecule therapeutics
- Lead projects on defined timelines and go/no-go decision points
- Design and execute comprehensive experimental plans that inform and enable project progression
- Collaborate closely with other teams in Therapeutics and our external collaboration partner to advance therapeutic programs and strategies
- Maintain knowledge of the latest scientific advancements (e.g., competitive landscape, new technologies, emerging opportunities). Stay abreast of the immunology literature and be a subject matter expert in immunology research within Therapeutics
- Establish rapport and work closely with scientific leaders, and our external collaboration partner
- Coach, mentor and manage a team of scientists with broad levels of experience and expertise
What you’ll bring
- Ph.D. in Immunology or Biology with a minimum of 4 years’ successful post-doctoral training in a world-renowned laboratory
- Excellent record of publications in high-impact peer-reviewed journals
- Minimum of 5 years’ industry experience including leadership of projects preferably in Immunology
- Well-versed in the field of autoimmune diseases and immunology, with good knowledge of competitive environment
- Strong team player with excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to effectively organize cross-functional teams and projects
- Track record of successfully leading research programs that require interfacing with multiple functional teams to advance drug candidates from concept to IND
- Experience managing projects in collaboration with academia and industry
- Ability to work independently, prioritize and multi-task while maintaining a positive and collaborative attitude
- Excellent analytical skills, with an ability to communicate complex issues in a straightforward way
- Experience hiring, managing and developing employees, with varying levels of experience, for performance and scientific growth
- Experience in IP filings
- Experience with authoring study reports supporting IND filings
Note: Job title/level will be commensurate with experience.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.