What will you be empowered to do?
Director, Machine Learning and Computational Biology - Therapeutics
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who We Are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team leverages this data to discover and develop new treatments that can offer significant benefits for patients with serious, unmet medical needs.
This dedicated research and drug development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
What You’ll Do
In this new role, you will provide scientific expertise on obtaining insights from human genetic data for the purposes of understanding disease biology and therapeutic target discovery. You will work with multidisciplinary teams of human statistical geneticists, computational biologists, biologists, and physicians to design and build methodologies for the interpretation of genetics studies of human diseases, particularly in pursuit of biological understanding following GWAS analysis. You will build a team of highly capable individuals who will develop and expand state-of-the-art statistical and ML approaches for combining large-scale genetic datasets with a wide variety of functional genomic data. You will lead cross-functional scientific projects, advise others in your field of expertise, and help provide strategic direction for genetic discovery activities at 23andMe. This role will report to the VP, Human Genetics.
What You’ll Bring
Our ideal candidate will bring a deep understanding of computational biology, statistical genetics, and machine learning, with a significant track record of scientific achievement that encompasses multiple years of experience leading development of novel methods and analytical approaches for large-scale genetic analysis. These achievements will demonstrate your ability to balance scientific rigor with a pragmatic commitment to getting things done in the face of multiple competing priorities. You will also have a track record of collaboration with scientific thought leaders in academia and industry.
- PhD in Computational Biology, Statistics, Statistical Genetics, Computer Science or related field with 10+ years of post-PhD experience
- Excellent record of accomplishment, either through academic publications or successful industry achievements over multiple years
- Deep expertise in computational method development in human computational biology and/or statistical genetics. Experience in Machine Learning applications in genomic or biopharmaceutical research is a strong plus.
- Extensive experience integrating large-scale genomic profiling technologies (RNA-seq, single cell genomics, etc.) into GWAS studies, combined with a deep understanding of the capabilities and limitations of these technologies
- Experience conducting human genetic analyses in a relevant disease area (metabolic diseases, immune diseases, oncology) is a plus
- Advanced computational skills with programming languages (e.g. Python, R, C/C++)
- Deep expertise in the design of experiments and analysis of complex data
- Ability to work with senior scientific leadership to help represent the company at appropriate scientific, business, and other professional meetings
- Proven ability to mentor, train, and develop junior scientists
- Exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all stakeholders.
Note: While our Therapeutics team is based in South San Francisco, CA this position is open to remote work, and we will consider exceptional candidates throughout the United States.
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back