What will you be empowered to do?
Sr. SWE / Lead - Machine Learning
Sunnyvale, California, United States
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. 23andMe boasts an extremely rich and diverse set of genetic and phenotypic data (genetic data for +12 million individuals and +2 billion singular/longitudinal phenotypic (non-genetic) data points).
We are looking for a Sr. Software Engineer/Lead - Machine Learning to join our Health Machine Learning Engineering (MLE) team! You will help to utilize the wealth of genetic and other non-genetic data to build and deliver machine learning models that deliver personalized health insights with applications in precision prevention and healthcare.
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What You’ll Do
In this new role, you will be joining a phenomenal multi-disciplinary team of engineers, data scientists and physicians. We work to develop predictive models of human disease and make personalized predictions available to our customers. We are looking for a senior Machine Learning engineer to solve novel problems in the areas of disease risk modeling and genetics-based healthcare and prevention.
- You collaborate with our team of data scientists and ML engineers on identifying promising ML methodologies and bringing them into our production infrastructure.
- You develop and improve evaluation techniques to understand the accuracy of your models.
- You contribute to the automation, observability, reproducibility of our ML pipelines.
- You train and mentor other engineers in your field of expertise.
What You’ll Bring
- 4-6 years industry experience delivering a mission critical machine learning platform.
- Interest in learning about human genetics. Passion for improving the health of 23andMe customers.
- Deep expertise building delivering software in a large team environment, ideally in AWS.
- Extensive experience with scientific libraries in Python (numba, pandas) and machine learning tools and frameworks (scikit-learn, tensorflow, jax).
- Familiarity with MLOps tools and pipelines (MLflow, Metaflow).
- Experience of implementing production machine learning systems, working with large scale datasets and solid understanding of machine learning theory.
- Metrics-focused and passionate about delivering high quality models.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to lead technical teams by communicating clearly and concisely with all stakeholders.
- B.S., M.S, or Ph.D. in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
Note: Much of our team is based in Sunnyvale, CA. This position is open to remote work, and we will consider exceptional candidates throughout the United States.
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back