Join our gene pool.
Therapeutics - South San Francisco, CA
Scientific Researcher / Sr. Scientific Researcher, Lead Discovery
South San Francisco, CA, United States
Who we are
Genetic testing makes it possible for each of us to understand our bodies in ways that were unimaginable only ten years ago. 23andMe continues to lead the way in making this information accessible, understandable and actionable for our customers, most of whom have consented to participate in research. This consumer-driven research model is powered by a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information that has the potential to improve human health through advances in genomics.
23andMe's Therapeutics team is committed to discovering and developing new therapies that can offer significant benefits for patients. This dedicated research and development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database, generates lead compounds for these targets and performs preclinical research to advance programs for clinical development. The team currently has research programs across several therapeutic areas, including oncology, skin, respiratory and cardiovascular disease.
We are seeking an outstanding Scientific Researcher or Sr. Scientific Researcher to join a collaborative, cross-functional research team involved in the discovery of novel therapeutic targets. Successful candidates will be independent and creative researchers with a high degree of analytical and troubleshooting skills.
What you'll do
- Independently design and conduct molecular, biochemical and cell biology experiments to advance small molecule and antibody therapeutic programs
- Generate, analyze, document and present complex experimental data in project team meetings
- Communicate effectively and collaborate closely with other colleagues
We hope you have
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology or related field
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant experience conducting laboratory research in an industry or academic setting
- Strong technical laboratory skills including mammalian and primary cell culture techniques, virus production, generation of stable cell lines, DNA cloning, qPCR, western blotting and ELISA
- Hands-on experience running cell-based, enzymatic or biochemical assays, including protocol optimization
- Experience with determination of potency of small molecule or antibody leads in biochemical and cell based assays using 96- or 384-well microplate format and data processing using curve-fitting software
- High attention to detail and diligent record keeping, with outstanding troubleshooting skills
- Strong organizational and communication skills with an ability to work both independently and in a team environment
Note: Job title level will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials. Candidates considered for the Sr. Scientific Researcher position will have a Ph.D. and a minimum of 3 years postdoc or industry experience. Applicants with Bachelor’s or M.S. degrees and equivalent work experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Industry experience
- Experience in biochemical or cell based assay development
- Experience with primary cell isolation or handling ex vivo isolated tissue/samples for downstream molecular biology applications
- Experience managing/tracking data for mid-size datasets, or familiarity with database software
- Experience in microscopy, flow cytometry, high content imaging analysis, or immunohistochemistry
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://mediacenter.23andme.com/therapeutics/.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.