Join our gene pool.
Software Developer - Laboratory Systems
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
The 23andMe Laboratory R&D team is looking for an experienced Software Developer to design and implement a Laboratory Information System (LIS). If you are interested in being part of an innovative team changing the way labs operate at scale, we’d love to talk to you. You will have experience working with databases that capture data from systems in a laboratory or production environment. You will know how to organize data to provide key business and process insights, including display of data in reports and dashboards. You will enjoy a challenge and working in a fast-paced environment as part of a multidisciplinary team.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you'll do
You will work closely with Laboratory Staff, equipment vendors and 23andMe systems teams to design, code and develop a Laboratory Information System (LIS). The proposed LIS will collect data from sources (via JSON REST API etc.) and store the data for retrieval via dashboards and reports.
Work closely with Laboratory Staff, equipment suppliers, 23andMe systems teams, and Network Manager to develop, deploy and manage a Laboratory Information Systems (LIS). You will need to evaluate the requirements, code APIs using Python and establish the data architecture to support the system functionality.
What you'll bring
- BS in computing or related field with at least 3 years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated ability to code APIs using Python.
- Knowledge of databases (MySQL, Oracle, etc.) and how to optimize the design for faster searching.
- Knowledge of internet technologies and reporting tools particularly the ability to integrate data from JSON REST APIs.
- Experience deploying software to AWS.
- Experience in data structures design and architecture to optimize direct and indirect data.
- Provides database maintenance and support by coding utilities, responding to user questions, and resolving problems.
- Experience working with database reporting tools such as Tableau and Microstrategy, as well as wireframe UI mockup tools such as Balsamiq.
- Ability to advise developers on best practices in relation to data models, DDL/DML, and suggest areas of improvement.
- Ability to write and maintain functional and technical software specifications.
- Familiarity in guiding and communicating domain knowledge on solutions and technology.
What would be really cool would be
- Understanding of how to validate a complex system.
- Understanding of laboratory process e.g liquid handling.
- Understanding working in a regulated lab environment CLIA/CAP etc.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back