Join our gene pool.
2019 Summer Internships
Therapeutics Summer Intern - Small Molecule Target Discovery – Metabolic Disease
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you’ll do
- Design and conduct molecular, biochemical, and cell biology experiments to support target validation and advance small molecule therapeutic programs in metabolic disease
- Support small molecule drug discovery hit validation efforts, including biochemical assays for potency determination, mechanism of inhibition, and structure-activity-relationship
- Conduct in vitro and ex vivo secondary assays for characterizing mechanism of action (including qPCR, luciferase, microscopy, or cytokine production readout)
- Generate, analyze, document and present results of experiments within group and project team meetings
- Thorough recording of experimental details using electronic notebook software
What you’ll learn
- Gain exposure to small molecule drug discovery and development process
- Understand principles of target validation, hit identification, and secondary assay follow up
- How to work with advanced screening platforms (including Operetta high content image analysis, Luminex, and flow cytometry) including experimental design and data analysis
- Biochemical/cell-based assays and screening techniques for potency determination and structure-activity-response
- Experience working in an industrial laboratory environment
- Strong technical laboratory skills including bacterial, mammalian cell culture, and molecular biology techniques
- Experience with cell culture or handling ex vivo isolated tissue/samples for downstream molecular biology applications (in vivo experience not required). Experience handling mid-throughput sample preparation is a plus.
- Hands on experience running cell-based, enzymatic or biochemical assays in microplate format and data analysis software (Prism)
- High attention to detail and diligent record keeping, adaptable with an eagerness/motivation to learn
- Strong organizational and communication skills with the ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Must be enrolled in an academic program pursuing a Master's or PhD (or a recent Masters/PhD grad) in Biology, Molecular and Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Pharmaceutical biology or related field.
- Summer Program is full-time (~40 hrs/wk) for at least 10 weeks and is paid
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.