Join our gene pool.
Senior Software Engineer - Health
Mountain View, California, United States
23andMe is looking for a Sr. Software Engineer to join the Health team. This is the team that develops our consumer-facing Health product, including the first and only FDA-approved direct-to-consumer report on the BRCA gene, and the world's first direct-to-consumer polygenic risk report for Type 2 Diabetes. Working with 23andMe's scientific researchers, and using 23andMe's unique genetic and phenotype database, we are unlocking health-related insights from the genetic code, communicating that insight to customers, and innovating new ways to help our customers apply those insights to live healthier lives. This is a unique opportunity to be an important part of a team that solves interesting problems and has high impact.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you'll do
- Be a driving force toward improving our infrastructure and processes
- Work with scientists to implement algorithms that interpret DNA, at scale, taking extra measures to engineer solutions that are exceptionally robust and high-quality
- Design and build delightful and engaging consumer-facing experiences that help customers understand their results and take action toward living healthier lives
- Be a partner in deploying features across platforms, including responsive mobile-web, iOS, and Android
- Own projects through the software development lifecycle, including requirements gathering, proposing technical designs, developing and testing the software internally, releasing to production, and maintaining the code once it is live
- Independently and working with others, architect good solutions to complex problems
- Operate as part of a team in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment
- Be a role model and mentor for more junior team members, upholding a demonstrated commitment to engineering excellence
What you'll bring
- BS in Engineering or a related field with a minimum of 6 years real-world, industry experience delivering production quality code
- Experience with Python or a similar language and a full-stack web application framework
- Understanding of web security and cryptography concepts
- A team player attitude with comfortability operating in a highly collaborative environment
- Passion for exceptionally high-quality software and excellent user experiences
- Willingness to learn, lead and take responsibility
Nice to have
- Experience with development in the AWS ecosystem
- Scientific background, especially genetics, bioinformatics or related field
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back