Communications Associate - Media Relations
Mountain View, California, United States
23andMe is seeking an organized, creative individual to assist our Communications team in effectively supporting the media relations and corporate communications functions. This includes proactive and reactive media outreach, development of internal and external written materials, executive speaking support, tracking and analyzing team-wide metrics that support company goals, management of internal review processes and working with teams across the company to help inform and support the communications function. We’re looking for someone with strong communication skills who can straddle multiple projects at once, and work with teams across the company to ensure projects are completed on time and with impeccable results.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
Who you are
The ideal candidate is someone who is organized, takes initiative, and can juggle multiple tasks at once. We’re looking for a professional who can communicate effectively with diverse audiences. You enjoy executing and are not afraid to roll up your sleeves to help out on projects as needed. Like us, you are mission-driven and passionate about providing consumers with more direct and affordable access to their health information. You’re interested and highly curious about how the public receives information, and excited to familiarize yourself with the types of media that follow 23andMe and the consumer genetics space. You’re passionate about becoming an expert on the company and the market - you dive in headfirst when it comes to learning everything you can about our business, our customers and our key stakeholders. You’re interested in science and learning more every day about how genetics can inform your ancestry, health, and day-to-day wellbeing. You want to contribute to something meaningful that truly impacts peoples’ lives, and you are not afraid to try to break down barriers to make it happen.
What you’ll do
- Triage and respond to inbound media inquiries
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with relevant press
- Build and manage strategic media distribution lists for public-facing announcements and materials distribution
- Conduct proactive media outreach for new product launches and other company announcements
- Develop relevant and well-written support documentation, such as media interview preparation documents, media pitches, and messaging for product launches or company announcements
- Track and analyze media coverage, including weekly and monthly reporting
- Work seamlessly with our digital experience and social media teams to coordinate public announcements and special projects
- Assist with our customer story process, pitching relevant and compelling customers stories to media as necessary and tracking individual customer stories covered by the media
- Support our executive speaking platform, including managing inbound speaking requests for executives; building and managing speaker bureaus; creating event preparation material; event staffing
- Work cross-functionally across a number of teams to ensure we’re effectively communicating important and relevant company information to the public
What you’ll bring
- 1-3 years of relevant administrative and/or communications experience
- Highly effective written and verbal communications skills
- Strong teamwork and relationship-building skills
- Strong planning, organization, and problem-solving skills
- Enjoys working independently, as well as working with others
- Ability to work across teams and with a diverse set of individuals, including engineers, scientists, marketers, and our legal and regulatory teams
- Ability to quickly learn various media reference and distribution databases
- Bachelor’s Degree or related experience required
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.