Join our gene pool.
Sr. Scientist, Computational Biology
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. We are seeking an exceptional computational biologist to join our cross-functional Therapeutics team focused on discovery and development of novel therapeutic agents. You will have the opportunity to work on the world’s largest collection of phenotype and genetic data to help the team identify novel predictive/prognostic biomarkers and drug targets. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
What you’ll do
We are looking for a quantitative scientist with extensive experience in computational biology and human genomics with the ability to develop novel analysis methods and lead collaborative research projects to drive therapeutic development. The successful candidate will have significant experience analyzing genetic data to understand disease biology with particular knowledge in at least one focused area (e.g. oncology, immunology, cardiometabolic disease). A proven record of successful collaboration in cross-functional teams including laboratory and/or clinical scientists is essential as is demonstrated ability to communicate complex analyses to a scientists with a diverse set of scientific backgrounds.
What you’ll bring
- Ph.D. in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Statistics or a related field
- Demonstrated experience working with very large genomic datasets including both genetic and transcriptomic data.
- Experience managing and mentoring more junior scientists in either an academic or industry setting.
- A record of developing novel approaches to data analysis.
- Extensive experience in writing robust code in a shared development environment; strong programming skills in R and/or Python; a record of applying best practices for sustainable software development.
- Background in statistical data analysis or machine learning
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex results to colleagues from a wide range of scientific backgrounds
- Strong publication record.
- Direct experience in drug target identification and drug development.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 10 million customers worldwide, with ~80 percent of customers consented to participate in research.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.