Join our gene pool.
Director of Functional Genomics
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team uses this data to discover and develop novel medicines to treat important diseases. The team currently has research programs across several therapeutic areas, including oncology, skin, respiratory and cardiovascular disease.
You will play a pivotal role leading functional genomics platforms focused on characterizing the molecular function of genetic variants and candidate genes of interest and partnering with our drug discovery teams and other internal and external partners to inform on target discovery and drug development.
You will lead a group of scientists and researchers to work on modeling novel gene-phenotype links in vitro and in vivo with the aim of providing a mechanistic understanding of how variants affect the properties of the corresponding gene product and drive a phenotype. You will coordinate this effort with internal and external collaborators, integrate with other 23andMe Therapeutics programs and collaborate in generating models of disease. The ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative, interdisciplinary environment, excellent communication and organizational skills and the aptitude to learn quickly and apply new techniques and methods are musts.
This role will report to the VP, Drug Discovery. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
What you’ll do
- In partnership with leadership counterparts, define and lead functional genomics strategy for 23andMe Therapeutics
- Initiate and lead key external collaborations using gene editing platforms
- Establish internal capabilities for high throughput gene editing experiments
- Lead a team of scientists and researchers that design and execute on large scale gene-editing experiments across a range of cellular models and analyze the resulting data.
- Coordinate with Therapeutics and Research scientists to generate models of disease.
- Survey literature and conferences for discoveries and findings from the broader genetics/molecular and cellular biology communities in order to integrate such findings into study opportunities and considerations internally.
- Organize projects and prepare presentations.
- Communicate and report study findings, analyses and future directions with senior leadership, administration, and collaborators.
- Coordinate with Research and Therapeutics colleagues and external collaborators to integrate findings and analyses into new and existing programs.
- Take the lead and/or participate in the writing of manuscripts and coordinating their publication.
- Contribute to management of group goals, as well as individual development goals.
What you’ll bring
- PhD or equivalent degree in Biology or a life sciences discipline, with extensive post-graduate research experience related to Molecular Biology and/or Molecular Genetics
- Proven track record of running a research lab and collaborating in highly cross-functional teams
- Strong background in molecular and cellular biology, gene editing technologies and characterization of protein function
- Experience with molecular characterization and other functional studies geared towards following up genetic association analysis
- Familiarity with clinical genetics and genetic models of disease
- Outstanding cross-functional teamwork: works collaboratively, effectively, and efficiently with others
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral
- Strong organizational skills
- Excellent leadership skills
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 10 million customers worldwide, with ~80 percent of customers consented to participate in research.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.