Join our gene pool.
Sr. Associate Scientist / Scientist I, Flow Cytometry
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team uses this data to discover and develop novel medicines to treat important diseases. The team currently has research programs across several therapeutic areas, including oncology, skin, respiratory and cardiovascular disease.
We are seeking a highly skilled and enthusiastic scientist to establish and manage a Flow Cytometry Core Facility at 23andMe Therapeutics in South San Francisco. You will be responsible for implementing best flow cytometry practices and working closely with our team on experiments contributing to therapeutic projects. The successful candidate will bring expertise in flow cytometry instrument set up and optimization, and a successful track record working cross-functionally. You will also be a strong team player with excellent organizational and interpersonal communication skills.
More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
What you’ll do
- Design and implement core lab operating procedures.
- Optimize and standardize flow cytometry systems.
- Advise users on best practices of experimental design, acquisition, and analysis of flow cytometric data. Offer guidance on multicolor panel design.
- Troubleshoot and resolve performance issues.
- Operate flow cytometry instruments for investigators.
- Manage the operation of the facility and handle scheduling.
- Establish and maintain data organization and data management.
- Provide a safe working environment for facility users and monitor safety compliance.
- Participate in the selection of new facility equipment and software with advancing technology.
- Keep informed of emerging trends, techniques and advancements in research flow cytometry.
- Collaborate on experiments related to research and development.
- Convey new Core capacities to users and potential users.
- Support the maintenance of flow cytometry equipment (Cytoflex, Sony SH800)
What you’ll bring
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline with a minimum of 10 years’ experience operating flow cytometers. Our ideal candidate will possess a wide variety of flow cytometry experiences.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in a Flow Core Facility.
- Significant experience with BD flow cytometry instrumentation.
- Advanced knowledge of FACSDiva, FACSChorus, FlowJo, FCS Express, and Cytobank software.
- Knowledge of advanced FACS principles.
- Experience operating cell sorters and analyzers.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving aptitude.
- Excellent interpersonal communication, organizational and leadership skills with the ability to work independently and in a fast-paced team environment
Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 10 million customers worldwide, with ~80 percent of customers consented to participate in research.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.