Join our gene pool.
Research & Science
Sunnyvale, California, United States
23andMe is looking for an engaged, articulate statistician with a strong interest in working with large complex data sets to join our Research team. The genetic epidemiology group, situated within the data collection team, is focused on maximizing the analytic utility of our data to understand human health and disease. You will be involved in a wide variety of activities, such as developing analytic methods for digital phenotypes, experimental design, and statistical modeling. The range of projects includes supporting our drug discovery projects, analyzing and validating large-scale data collected via web-based and wearable tools, and investigating contributions of genetic and environmental factors in human wellness and disease. This position is part of a highly interactive, dynamic environment and involves interfacing with individuals across the organization. There is an emphasis on communication skills and an ability to deliver results.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you’ll do
- You will develop methods to analyze, impute, and validate data that includes digital phenotypes, genotypes, and environmental factors
- You will provide analytical support for a variety of epidemiologic studies, including disease risk prediction, in a fast-paced environment
- You will support our drug discovery initiatives, including:
- In vivo animal experiments: sample size calculations, data analysis, and interpretation/communication of results
- Clinical studies: sample size calculations, selection of endpoint, and interim analysis planning
- Providing statistical frameworks for evaluating decision criteria (i.e. go/no go decision rules) to predict probabilities of success/failure for drug discovery programs
This work requires an understanding/willingness to learn regulatory framework for drug approval and involves a review of literature to understand disease etiology, prognosis, and methods for measuring severity/progression.
What you’ll bring
- A PhD in Statistics or a related discipline (Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Applied Mathematics, and others)
- Ability to use and develop appropriate software tools, primarily in R; experience with Python and/or SQL is a plus
- A keen interest in human genetics and willingness to keep up with rapidly evolving methods, including machine learning approaches
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills working with all levels of the organization
- Flexibility to support changing assignments and priorities in an independent and reliable manner, while maintaining a positive and collaborative attitude
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the mission of the company is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by Glassdoor as one of the Best Places to Work in 2019, MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe, Inc. is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back