Join our gene pool.
Associate Scientist / Sr. Associate Scientist, Lead Discovery
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
23andMe's Therapeutics team is committed to discovering and developing new therapies that can offer significant benefits for patients. This dedicated research and development group in South San Francisco identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs for disease areas with high unmet need.
We are seeking an outstanding Associate Scientist or Sr. Associate Scientist to join a collaborative, cross-functional research team committed to the discovery and development of novel therapeutics. Successful candidates will be self-motivated, independent, creative, and driven to develop their expertise and career in the field of drug discovery.
More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
What you’ll do
- Design and conduct biochemistry, molecular biology and cell biology research as a component of drug discovery programs
- Generate, analyze, document and present complex experimental data
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with colleagues
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
- Flexibility to perform other related duties as assigned
What you’ll bring
- Bachelor's (+ min of 5 years’ relevant experience), Master's (+ min of 3 years’ relevant experience), or Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology or related discipline
- Experience in mammalian cell culture and genetic engineering of culture cell lines
- Exceptional scientific thought process, specifically in relation to high-quality experimental design and subsequent data interpretation
- Extensive molecular biology experience, with high proficiency in human cell line engineering (cloning, gene editing, transgene expression, tool cell line creation)
- Experience in the development, characterization and optimization of biochemical/cellular assays to determine potency and selectivity and mechanism of action of small molecule or antibody hits/leads in biochemical, molecular or cellular processes
- Ability to perform focused experiments with the goal of answering specific and defined molecular biology questions in order to drive drug discovery efforts
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organization skills with the ability to work independently and in a fast-paced team environment
- Proactive and highly self-motivated with strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- The desire to develop the skills, expertise and experience to drive your career in the drug discovery space
- Virus production and primary cell culture experience
- Experience working in the field of one or more human disease phenotypes
- Protein production understanding/experience
- Biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry work experience
Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the mission of the company is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by Glassdoor as one of the Best Places to Work in 2019, MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.