Join our gene pool.
Sunnyvale, California, United States
23andMe is looking for a talented Tax Manager to join our Finance team! Our Tax Manager will apply technical principles and procedures to assist with the ownership and end to end compliance of all elements of taxation and related compliance matters, complete special projects and assist in driving process changes to help us scale for the future. This position will report to our Corporate Controller.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What You’ll Do
- Assure compliance with all tax reporting and remittance at all levels of taxation, including but not limited to:
- Management of the preparation and review of annual federal and state income tax returns by independent CPA firm.
- Prepare/review the annual tax provision under ASC 740, including relevant financial statement footnote disclosures
- Prepare/review periodic state sales and use tax returns, covering both the purchase of inventory and sale to end customers
- Prepare/review annual property tax filings
- Manage tax payment process, working closely with AP
- Manage tax compliance calendar to ensure all filings are timely completed, this includes federal, state and international
- Handle all aspects of tax audits, disputes and dispute resolution
- Manage and coordinate tax audits, as applicable
- Assist in responding to inquiries from tax authorities in connection with notices, examinations, and other letters received
- Assure appropriate tax input into all operational areas
- Review internal contracts to provide guidance to the business on optimal tax compliance before execution, and ensure compliance after execution
- As part of the accounting close process, maintain and reconcile tax related accounts in the GL
- Formulate value-optimizing tax positions and strategies
- Conduct research and provide technical analysis to support the Company’s tax positions
- Evaluate, recommend and implement tax strategies that meaningfully reduce future tax expense
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelors or Masters in Accounting or Taxation
- CPA strongly preferred
- 5-7 years of experience at a Big 4 accounting firm and/or corporate tax department of a mid/late stage privately held or publicly traded company
- Proven work experience as a tax manager, including excellent knowledge of tax accounting, tax compliance and all types of tax returns
- Strong knowledge of relevant GAAP, particularly ASC 740
- A strong user, and quick learner of, technology and systems including but not limited to NetSuite, Avalara, OneSource, MS office with excellent Excel abilities, and Google suite
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.