Join our gene pool.
Director, Immunology Research
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team in South San Francisco identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
We are seeking a highly motivated, innovative, and collaborative PhD or MD/PhD Immunologist to lead target and drug discovery efforts in inflammatory, autoimmune, and immuno-oncology indications, leveraging the 23andMe GWAS database. You will be someone who is inspired and driven to discover and develop treatments for patients with serious unmet medical needs. The successful candidate will also demonstrate a record of achievement in developing autoimmune disease / immuno-oncology therapeutics.
This position will partner with key stakeholders in Therapeutics and Research to discover and develop target hypotheses based on compelling human genetics.
What you’ll do
- Lead the Immunology Discovery group, providing scientific leadership of programs targeting autoimmune and immuno-oncology therapeutics
- Collaborate closely with the Therapeutics Leadership Team to deliver on a pipeline from new target discovery, validation, therapeutic candidate selection through to first in human stage
- Effectively partner with other discovery and translational biology colleagues as well as colleagues in supportive functions (including antibody and protein engineering, in vivo pharmacology and early clinical development and project leadership) to advance preclinical development of therapeutic candidates to early clinical development
- Work collaboratively with Biomarker Translation and Development Sciences to support translational and biomarker hypotheses to be evaluated in the preclinical and clinical stages
- Have oversight into the preparation of technical reports and nonclinical sections of documents supporting IND filings and other regulatory documents associated with moving candidates from preclinical to the clinical environment
- Represent the Discovery group in discussions with external collaborators/companies with membership on joint scientific committees as appropriate
- Coach, mentor and manage a team of scientists with broad levels of experience and expertise, fostering a collaborative and inclusive work environment
- Demonstrate leadership consistent with 23andMe’s core values, including leading with science, attracting and retaining top key talent critical to business success, and developing team members
What you’ll bring
- PhD or MD/PhD in immunology with demonstrated success in identifying and advancing programs in autoimmune diseases and/or immuno-oncology
- Exceptional communication and cross-functional leadership skills
- Experience building teams and coaching / mentoring scientists with varying levels of experience for performance and scientific growth
- Experience in industry drug discovery preferred, including exposure to small and large molecule and other therapeutic modalities
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.