Join our gene pool.
R&D Scientist Intern - Risk Prediction Modeling (Remote)
Sunnyvale, California, United States
Are you passionate about bringing science to the everyday consumer? Do you want to develop your statistics and data science skills while working to improve equity in genetics research? We're looking for an enthusiastic computational biologist to help develop the disease risk models that power our consumer genetics product.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
Who you are
You are on your way to a graduate degree in a biology-focused quantitative discipline, and you’re wondering where your skills can take you outside of academia. You are motivated by identifying significant and meaningful findings from large datasets, and you believe those findings should provide value for everyone. You can problem-solve on your own, but you thrive as part of a team. Like us, you are mission-driven and want to contribute to something that truly impacts people’s lives.
What you’ll do
- Build predictive models of disease using data from 23andMe research participants, with a particular emphasis on modeling in an ethnically diverse dataset
- Work with real-life big data sets, including genetic data in the form of polygenic scores and self-reported lifestyle & behavior data
- Tackle the statistical challenges of population stratification and demographic heterogeneity to develop and evaluate models
- Be a significant contributor on longer-term R&D projects to develop, validate, and translate research data into novel consumer products
What you’ll bring / Requirements
- Working toward a graduate degree in a quantitative discipline, such as computational biology, statistical genetics, bioinformatics, engineering, mathematics, computer science
- Comfortable with Python (required), Git, and Bash
- Motivated to clearly document and communicate your work, including presenting clear descriptions of your technical work to broad audiences
- Proactive, thorough, and independent, but also able to work effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced, and interdisciplinary team
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the mission of the company is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by Glassdoor as one of the Best Places to Work in 2019, MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back