What will you be empowered to do?
Scientist I, Protein Engineering
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who We Are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team in South San Francisco leverages this data to discover and develop new treatments that can offer significant benefits for patients with serious, unmet medical needs.
This dedicated research and drug development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
We are seeking an exceptional, highly-motivated Scientist to contribute to a collaborative, cross-functional team focused on the biological characterization of drug targets and the preclinical development of drug compounds. In this role, you will have experience applying molecular and cell biology approaches to elucidate target function and drug mechanism of action.
What You’ll Do
- Manage the production of mammalian proteins and antibodies to support therapeutic development programs, from construct generation through purification, biophysical and analytical characterization
- Interface and collaborate closely with other therapeutic teams including analytics, antibody engineering, and assay
- Work closely with project leads to manage and prioritize protein reagent requirements for multiple projects
- Utilize mammalian (HEK293 & CHO), insect, and bacterial (E.coli) transient expression systems for protein production
- Perform protein purification using a broad variety of chromatographic methods utilizing FPLC/AKTA systems
- Produce, engineer, label and/or optimize protein reagents for use in biochemical and functional screening assays
- Manage CRO workflows and progress on protein expression/purification related projects
- Generate, analyze, document and communicate complex data
What You’ll Bring
- Master’s with 10+ years’ industry or academic research experience or a Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related field with 3+ years' experience (post-doctoral fellowship or research/industry experience)
- Excellent record of productivity and success in the optimization of all aspects of the production of mammalian proteins
- Advanced working knowledge of protein expression and purification techniques, protein structure and stability
- Proactive and highly self-motivated with strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organization skills with the ability to work independently and in a fast-paced team environment
- Prior work experience in an antibody-development setting
- Experience with protein analytical characterization such as SEC, RP-HPLC
- Prior experience in protein production support for a structural biology group
- Prior experience in in vitro and binding assay development
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.