What will you be empowered to do?
Associate Scientist / Sr. Associate Scientist, Protein Engineering
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who We Are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team in South San Francisco leverages this data to discover and develop new treatments that can offer significant benefits for patients with serious, unmet medical needs.
This dedicated research and drug development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
We are seeking an outstanding Associate Scientist or Sr. Associate Scientist to contribute to a collaborative, cross-functional research team responsible for expression, purification and biochemical/biophysical characterization of diverse protein targets.
In-depth technical expertise with recombinant protein expression, purification and characterization is required. Successful candidates will also be independent and creative researchers, capable of experimental design, execution and troubleshooting.
What You’ll Do
- Help with the productions of mammalian recombinant proteins to support therapeutic development programs, from construct generation through purification and biophysical/analytical characterization
- Utilize mammalian (HEK293 & CHO), insect (Baculovirus) and bacterial (E.coli) transient expression systems for protein production
- Perform protein purification using a broad variety of chromatographic methods utilizing FPLC/AKTA systems
- Produce, engineer, label and/or optimize protein reagents for use in biochemical and functional screening assays
- Interface and collaborate closely with other functional groups within the organization (analytics, antibody engineering, and biology)
- Consult with Project Leads to manage and prioritize protein reagent requirements for multiple projects
- Generate, analyze, document and communicate high quality data
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
What You’ll Bring
- Master’s (+5 years’ industry experience) or PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related field. Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials
- Successful track record in optimizing all aspects of mammalian protein production
- Excellent working knowledge of construct design, molecular biology, protein expression (e.coli, insect (including baculovirus generation), and mammalian transient expression systems), purification techniques, and protein structure and stability
- A strong background in troubleshooting difficult-to-express/purify proteins is a must
- Excellent knowledge of and experience in characterizing proteins using (but not limited to) SEC-MALS, HPLC-SEC (FSEC), DLS, DSF, Octet and/or Biacore
- Highly analytical with excellent troubleshooting skills
- Excellent organizational and communication skills with the ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, team environment
- Biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience
- Experience with refolding proteins from E. coli inclusion bodies
- Prior work experience in an antibody development setting
- Prior experience in providing protein production support for a structural biology group
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.