What will you be empowered to do?
Director, Computational Biology
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who we are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has created the world's largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80% of its customers electing to participate. The 23andMe research platform has generated more than 180 publications on the genetic underpinnings of a wide range of diseases, conditions, and traits. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas.
We are seeking a colleague to provide leadership and direction on the use and understanding of different computational approaches to advance drug discovery programs from target identification through to clinical development taking full advantage of information from genetic associations and their likely role in traits and diseases. Familiarity with GWAS, QTLs, and other functional genomics data are essential as is an understanding of drug discovery and development and how these data can be brought to bear to drive decisions. The ability to communicate well, manage projects and teams, and function in a highly interactive scientific discovery environment are musts. Prior experience in industry in discovery research or translational medicine would be an asset.
Our team is highly collaborative, and the ability to communicate ideas and results to other scientists and non-scientists in the context of business objectives is key. Successful candidates will also have multiple years of experience leading development and implementation of novel methods and bioinformatics tools; executing independently developed ideas; a demonstrated ability to clearly and effectively communicate with a wide range of internal and external audiences; and experience building, mentoring, and leading a team of scientists.
The scientific questions we are working on, and the scope of our vision mean that many of the necessary tools and methods have yet to be developed anywhere in the world. We encourage presentation and publication of research results.
What you’ll do
- Lead and continue to build a team within the Computational Biology group focused on advancing therapeutic discovery programs from target validation through to clinical development.
- Collaborate with colleagues in Statistical Genetics, Biomarker Translation, and Development Sciences to support translational and biomarker hypotheses for evaluation in the preclinical and clinical stages.
- Work together with discovery teams to support evaluation of hypotheses about target biology critical to advancing target validation and drug discovery efforts.
- Guide the group in applying best in class methods to analyze genetic and genomic data sets to test critical hypotheses in drug discovery and development programs.
- Represent the group in discussions with external collaborators as appropriate.
- Demonstrate leadership consistent with 23andMe’s core values, including leading with science, attracting and retaining top key talent critical to business success, and developing team members
What you’ll bring
- PhD in Statistics, Computational Biology, Computer Science or a related field with at least six years of experience post-PhD
- Strong record of achievement, either through publications or successful industry achievements
- Deep understanding of disease biology in one or more therapeutic areas
- Demonstrated ability to develop and apply new tools for the integrative analysis and visualization of multi-dimensional datasets
- Experience managing teams and individuals
- Exceptional communication and cross-functional leadership skills with a strong track record of collaboration with computational scientists, biologists, and clinicians
- Broad understanding and familiarity with functional genomics
- Understanding and expertise in human genetics
- Experience in industry drug discovery is strongly preferred, including exposure to small and large molecule therapeutics and other drug modalities
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017." 23andMe has millions of customers worldwide, with more than 80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back