What will you be empowered to do?
Tech Lead, Big Data
Sunnyvale, California, United States
23andMe is looking for an experienced, self-directed Tech Lead for the Big Data engineering team to design, develop and maintain large scale data services for both internal and external customers.
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
- Get to know the 23andMe Engineering team more through our blog!
What You'll Do
- Design, develop and maintain highly scalable services to solve complex large scale engineering challenges at 23andMe
- Collaborate with other engineering teams, product, security to deliver on strategic projects as well as maintain operational excellence of existing services
- Perform proof-of-concept (POC) to evaluate technologies for strategic projects
- Provide technical leadership and establish best practices in data engineering
- Mentor other engineers and become a contributor to our engineering culture
What You’ll Bring
- Passion for systems engineering and proven track record of delivering multiple large-scale projects
- Proven success in communicating with product and engineering leadership to describe data architecture decisions and data engineering strategy
- 10+ years of relevant experience in developing and maintaining large scale systems, data storage solutions, data pipelines
- Experience in AWS, big data technologies (HBase is preferred), columnar storage formats, Spark
- Significant exposure to different programming languages and paradigms with a working knowledge of Python
- Prior experience supporting customer-facing backend applications is preferred
Tools We Use and Teach
- Parquet, Arrow, HBase/Phoenix
- Spark, Celery
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back