What will you be empowered to do?
Sunnyvale, California, United States
We are looking for a Database Engineer to join a growing Data Platform Engineering (DPE) team. Our Database Engineers handle everything from OLTP and OLAP databases administration; data pipeline infrastructures setup and manageability through automation. DPE services lay the foundation for consumer products, Research, and Business Analysis; and it will be your responsibility to ensure that 23andMe operates with a high performing, highly available, secured, scalable and manageable enterprise data platform.
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What You'll Do
- Design, build and manage RDS for MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, SQL Server in AWS Cloud
- Build and manage Redshift data warehousing service
- Use the Infrastructure as Code (IoC) technologies to launch, configure and modify data infrastructures
- Design, develop and maintain data replication, backup, and disaster recovery strategies
- Responsible for ensuring security, privacy, and data integrity across all AWS accounts
- Optimize and tune database performance
- Improve monitoring and perform database capacity and usage planning
- Write and maintain tools to empower operation automation
- Perform routine scheduled and occasionally un-scheduled maintenance
- Collaborate with other engineering, Research, compliance, production security, IT to deliver on strategic projects as well as maintain operational excellence of owned services
- Implement, document, and maintain database best practice
- Be a part of on-call rotation team
What You'll Bring
- Expertise knowledge of SQL
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent/related field
- 5+ years of DB administration in production environment
- Experience with AWS RDS, Redshift, EC2, S3 services
- Experience with managing infrastructure with code
- Strong knowledge of DB performance tuning
- Experience with database backup, restoration, and DR planning and execution
- Experience with at least one major scripting language
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage priorities in a fast paced environment
- Previous on-call experience
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back