What will you be empowered to do?
Corporate Counsel, Product
Sunnyvale, California, United States
We are seeking an exceptional Corporate Counsel to join our Legal team at 23andMe! You are passionate, mission driven, and love the idea of helping to push the needle forward. You will work in a very fast-paced, dynamic environment with a broad range of responsibilities to provide guidance on product, research and other strategic initiatives.
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What You'll Do
You will be responsible for providing legal counsel across various areas of our business to support product, research and other strategic initiatives. We are looking for a leader with experience in the consumer and/or health industry who is eager to continue their growth in a cutting-edge business and will be agile and practical in providing excellent legal advice to support our teams in navigating the legal and regulatory landscape.
- Provide informed tech- and privacy-forward legal and regulatory guidance, strategic support and education to product, health care operations, engineering and marketing teams on issues related to new and existing product and product features through development and marketing lifecycles to enable teams to move quickly
- Draft and negotiate agreements affecting 23andMe’s product and services. Work with contracts associates and paralegals on a wide range of agreements (including NDAs, service/consulting agreements, product research agreements and collaboration agreements)
- Remain up-to-date on relevant industry, consumer protection, advertising, IP, and privacy laws and regulations to ensure an ongoing ability to provide excellent legal and compliance advice and anticipate what’s ahead
- Proactively identify and recommend opportunities for operational improvement; lead in drafting and roll-out of company policies and procedures for product review or product initiatives including execution in a cross-functional manner
- Be a strategic and practical legal partner by providing insights on creating amazing product experiences in compliance with applicable laws and regulations across multiple jurisdictions
- Serve as the first point of contact for general legal questions from tech and operational teams, and for the legal team’s questions about 23andMe products
- Provide and coordinate legal advice across complex and multifaceted legal issues, including compliance with newly developing regulatory and legal obligations
- Lead on relevant legal training and development of contract templates and processes
What You'll Bring
- J.D. from accredited law school
- 4+ years of relevant experience in top-tier law firm, government agency or in-house; in-house experience preferred.
- 2+ years of demonstrated experience providing product counseling
- Member of the California bar
- Consistent track record of advising clients in the day-to-day operation of a business with expertise in conveying complex legal and risk concepts in “plain English” for both technical and legal colleagues
- Expertise in relevant fields including litigation, regulatory, IP, privacy, data security, FTC regulations, and state consumer protection regulations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to effectively and proactively communicate with partners and stakeholders across the organization
- Excellent contract drafting and negotiation skills
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage projects effectively
- A willingness to take initiative and learn new areas of law and acquire new skills, and take on additional and/or new responsibilities within the team as needed
- Go-getter - see an issue and find ways to fix it. Willing to roll up your sleeves and DIY. Provides sound, practical advice, and finds creative ways to solve problems
- Strong team player (management experience is a plus)
- Love working with people, and people love working with you
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back