What will you be empowered to do?
Associate Scientist / Sr. Associate Scientist, Immunology/Immuno-Oncology
South San Francisco, California, United States
Who We Are
23andMe, the leading consumer genetics and research company, has accumulated a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information from participants committed to improving human health through advances in genomics. Our Therapeutics team leverages this data to discover and develop new treatments that can offer significant benefits for patients with serious, unmet medical needs.
This dedicated research and drug development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database and performs preclinical research to advance programs towards clinical development. We currently have programs across several therapeutic areas, including but not limited to oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://therapeutics.23andme.com/.
We are seeking an exceptional Associate Scientist or Sr. Associate Scientist to join a collaborative team responsible for the biological characterization of drug targets and the preclinical development of drug compounds. Successful candidates will bring experience applying molecular and cell biology approaches to elucidate target protein function and drug mechanism of action.
What You’ll Do
- Independently design, validate, and implement biochemical and cell-based assays and assist in in vivo model characterization to support target validation and drug discovery in immunology and immuno-oncology therapeutic areas
- Actively survey the scientific literature, generate testable hypotheses around mechanisms of action for novel targets, and creatively identify methods by which to rigorously test those hypotheses
- Analyze and interpret complex biological data and present research findings in project team meetings and other company forums
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with cross-functional colleagues to identify resources and strategies needed for projects, and deliver experimental results in a timely manner
- Maintain highly detailed, accurate, and timely records of experimental designs, results, and data analysis
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor's (+ 6 years' related experience), Master's (+ 4 years' related experience) or PhD in immunology, cell biology, or a closely related field
- Biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience is strongly preferred
- Extensive direct experience with common immunological techniques including isolation of primary immune cells, cytotoxicity and proliferation assays, immune cell co-culture assays, multi-color flow cytometry, and cytokine analysis (ELISA, MSD, Luminex)
- Strong competency with a broad range of molecular biology techniques such as qPCR, western blot, gene overexpression and knockdown, and CRISPR gene editing
- Familiarity with a broad range of cell-based, enzymatic, and biochemical assays
- Proficiency with data analysis and record keeping software (e.g. FlowJo, Graphpad Prism, Electronic Lab Notebook)
- Proactive and highly self-motivated attitude, with rigorous attention to detail, diligent record keeping, and outstanding troubleshooting skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organization skills with the ability to work both independently and flexibly in a fast-paced team environment
Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience.
23andMe, headquartered in Sunnyvale, CA, is a leading consumer genetics and research company. Founded in 2006, the company’s mission is to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has pioneered direct access to genetic information as the only company with multiple FDA authorizations for genetic health risk reports. The company has created the world’s largest crowdsourced platform for genetic research, with 80 percent of its customers electing to participate. The platform also powers the 23andMe Therapeutics group, currently pursuing drug discovery programs rooted in human genetics across a spectrum of disease areas, including oncology, respiratory, and cardiovascular diseases, in addition to other therapeutic areas. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law. #LI-JNH1
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back