What will you be empowered to do?
Sunnyvale, California, United States
We are looking for a Controller to lead accounting operations at a fast paced, innovative company in the genetics and healthcare space. You will be a key member of the accounting team, responsible for the month end close, financial statement preparation and consolidation, and day to day accounting operations. The role requires establishing and maintaining working relationships with business partners across the organization, supporting management with analysis and reporting, and coaching and mentoring a high performing team. This role will report to the VP, Chief Accounting Officer (CAO) of 23andMe.
Who We Are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What You'll Do
- Responsible for all financial statement reporting, including preparation of financial statements, consolidations, foreign currency/international, segment reporting, flux analytics and KPI metrics to support internal and external reporting needs
- Drive the monthly, quarterly and annual financial close activities by running a disciplined close and reporting process, by coordinating activities, policies, reconciliations and analysis with teams across the accounting and finance organization to ensure an accurate and timely financial close
- Oversee and manage activities of accountants, currently consisting of five (5) direct reports, eleven (11) team members total, including general accounting, A/P, equity, treasury and payroll personnel
- Provide technical accounting expertise to ensure compliance with GAAP accounting standards and perform special technical assessments as needed
- Support a SOX successful first year implementation, and ensure a robust internal controls structure and compliance with SOX for all areas of ownership on an ongoing basis
- Responsible for business combination accounting for both existing and new potential M&A transactions in the future
- Continue to evolve and develop an accounting infrastructure and an efficient close process that are consistent with public company standards that will support significant growth and effectively scale with increased complexity
- Oversee equity, payroll, procedure-to-pay, cash reporting and treasury operations
- Develop and execute deliverables, and coordinate with external auditors and other professional service providers as needed
- Effectively build, lead, manage and retain a team, consisting of and leveraging world class tools, processes, and personnel, to deliver on the objectives of the department and the Company
- Participate in the preparation and review process for public filings as a partner to the Chief Accounting Officer (CAO), SEC Reporting, Legal, People Team, Investor Relations, and FP&A teams, and assist in the development of new disclosures as needed
- Identify and facilitate training and development opportunities for members of the Accounting Team
- Collaborate with the IT department to maintain sound system processes and controls, and ensure continual improvement for our accounting systems environment
- Lead, mentor and develop a high-performing diverse accounting team by fostering a culture of inclusion and belonging
- Special projects and other related duties, as necessary
What You'll Bring
- Bachelor’s degree and / or MA/MBA in Accounting or Finance
- Active CPA license Required
- Minimum 14+ years in a financial accounting role
- Minimum of 6+ years of Big 4 public accounting experience including having attained the manager level
- 8+ years in an corporate accounting leadership capacity at a public company
- Experience working in a robust, SOX-compliant controls environment required
- Experience with M&A accounting and transactions strongly preferred
- Experience in the life sciences or consumer goods industry strongly preferred
- Experience with Netsuite preferred
- Current and in-depth knowledge of US GAAP is required
- Ability to prioritize in real time; know what’s important
- Detailed oriented with a strong bias for action, ability to proactively dig into the details and resolve issues
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Transparent and self-aware, listens and learns from others
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 11.3 million customers worldwide, with ~80 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Sunnyvale, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.Back