Join our gene pool.
Research & Science
Senior Statistical Geneticist
Mountain View, CA, United States
Do you wish that your work had a more direct impact on people? Are you excited about the potential of human genetics to make a real difference in the world? At 23andMe, we believe that genetics is on the cusp of huge advances, and that our unique database of hundreds of thousands of genotypes and almost two hundred million phenotype data points gives us an incredible opportunity to advance not only biomedical research, but our understanding of ourselves.
We are looking for a colleague with extensive training and experience in statistical genetics who will help us build a world-leading, state-of-the-art research team. The successful candidate will have experience playing a leadership role in genetic association studies. You should be able to both execute your own ideas and have demonstrated your ability to communicate clearly and effectively with a wide range of audiences. The job requires strong statistics, biological insight, and excellent writing. An ability to ask and understand the “so what” aspect of any finding is critical.
- Design and execute a wide range of analyses for both internal and external customers
- Manage complex cross-team research projects
- Work collaboratively with members of the research, product, and engineering teams to develop our research platform
- Supervise, develop, and mentor junior scientists
- Ph.D. in Statistics, Genetics, or related field
- 3+ years post-graduate experience in statistical genetics working with large genomic data sets
- Strong statistical skills
- Hands-on experience working with very large data sets in Python and/or R
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
23andMe is the leading personal genetics company. We are dedicated to helping individuals understand their own genetic information through DNA analysis technologies and web-based interactive tools. Our mission is to personalize health care by making and supporting meaningful discoveries through genetic research. Combining web development, computer science, genetics, social media, and informatics, 23andMe is at the forefront of a new era in personal genetics.