Join our gene pool.
Senior Manager of Communities and Research Marketing
Mountain View, CA, United States
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
Our Marketing team is looking for a Senior Manager of Communities and Research Marketing to lead and execute all branding, relationship building, media buying and marketing for our disease communities and consumer research efforts. With Research Services, this role will help build the consumer research brand and promote/recruit/execute high profile disease communities (examples to date: Parkinson’s, IBD, Depression, lupus). This role is new and unique, as we are looking for someone who can be strategic with a vision to see how the role of consumer research can play a big part of our brand – and in our culture. This has never been done before. Historically, this approach has been tactical and we are looking for an experienced marketer to be mission-driven, see the integration into the greater brand story and help build strong relationships across internal and external stakeholders to bring consumer research to life in mainstream culture.
Who you are
You are passionate about being a part of our mission. You are strategic and tactical. You love to think out of the box – and yet you love to execute in the lean start-up way. You want to join a team of individuals who are pioneering consumer genetics. You want to contribute to something meaningful that truly impacts people’s lives, and you’re not afraid to make it happen.
You are a clear and articulate communicator, you understand how to build relationships internally and externally and you are a great listener and observer. You provide solution-driven initiatives, while also thinking big – working towards leading culture (not following it). You bring more to the table than what is asked and you seek out guidance and marketing expertise from cross-functional team members. You are not afraid of failure, and you take calculated risks.
What you’ll do
Drive and manage the development of our consumer research marketing strategy, development, recruiting and all research marketing efforts. You will partner with internal key stakeholders, executives and the CEO on the communities brand and help build out the consumer research brand. Your role will include: launching efforts for research education and communication, launch new studies, drive existing studies, work with IRB teams, work with the Research teams and all external agencies. Additional role responsibilities include:
- Manage multiple communities and execute innovative and strategic approaches for recruiting across desktop, tablet and mobile experience
- Identify and manage quarterly OKR (Objective and Key Results) process
- Develop content, produce videos, establish new relationships to build consumer research brand
- Look for opportunities for the ecommerce consumer to engage with the research brand, building out the consumer journey and opportunities building awareness
- Develop detailed project requirements, schedules and launch plans, leading cross-functional teams
- Identify key success metrics and stretch goals to continue to lead the consumer genetics research space
- Identify consumer data needs to build the consumer research platform for the public, partnering with consumer insights team (focus groups, surveys, data collection, feedback)
- Hire and work with external agencies and/or freelancers as needed for all recruiting efforts, managing budget and scope process
- Develop briefs and lead creative teams for all project execution
- Present and socialize research and recruiting strategies (roadmaps and milestones)
- Anticipate and manage recruiting issues with a problem-solving point of view
- Build budgets, timelines and project plans that meet and exceed recruiting goals with research team/BD partners
- Lead research study marketing initiatives with cross-functional teams, key executives, external agencies and potentially celebrity advocates
- Help identify ways for teams to grow our research relationships that would translate into the consumer marketing experience (social, product experience, forums, mobile, etc.)
- Help understand recruiting levers and message testing to be able to adjust strategy and recruiting plans accordingly
- Provide feedback throughout the year to optimize recruiting development in the future
We hope you have
- Experience in consumer marketing, non-profit, advocacy or government-related areas
- Relationships in related fields
- Experience working with IRB-related recruiting and development
- Experience leveraging social networking (Facebook/Twitter, grassroots marketing programs)
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills
- Confidence to think outside the box and execute big ideas
- Expertise in project management and working with cross functional teams in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Experience interfacing with agencies, designers, copywriters and engineers
- Familiarity with project management tools online
- Experience working against tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment on multiple initiatives and projects simultaneously
- Basic understanding of A/B testing, user experience, analytics/testing and development
- Detail-oriented with strong attention to follow-through
- Demonstrated outstanding written and oral communication skills
- A passion for helping people and improving lives, globally
- B.S. or B.A required
- Experience in non-profit or advocacy organizations preferred
23andMe, Inc. is the leading personal genetics company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has over 2 million customers worldwide with ~85 percent consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.