Join our gene pool.
Therapeutics - South San Francisco, CA
Scientific Researcher / Sr. Scientific Researcher, Antibody Engineering
South San Francisco, CA, United States
Who we are
Genetic testing makes it possible for each of us to understand our bodies in ways that were unimaginable only ten years ago. 23andMe continues to lead the way in making this information accessible, understandable and actionable for our customers, most of whom have consented to participate in research. This consumer-driven research model is powered by a wealth of genotypic and phenotypic information that has the potential to improve human health through advances in genomics.
23andMe's Therapeutics team is committed to discovering and developing new therapies that can offer significant benefits for patients. This dedicated research and development group identifies novel targets using 23andMe's genetic database, generates lead compounds for these targets and performs preclinical research to advance programs for clinical development. The team currently has research programs across several therapeutic areas, including oncology, skin, respiratory and cardiovascular disease.
We are seeking an outstanding Scientific Researcher or Sr. Scientific Researcher to contribute to the generation, characterization and engineering of antibodies across the Therapeutics portfolio. Successful candidates will be independent and creative researchers, capable of experimental design, execution and troubleshooting.
What you’ll do
- Execute antibody engineering to improve desired properties for therapeutic development using molecular biology approaches including phage display and mutagenesis
- Perform antibody production, characterization and biochemical/biophysical analysis
- Support large-scale antibody sequence and structural model analysis
- Collaborate with Therapeutic leads to plan the strategy for antibody discovery and optimization engineering
- Interpret, record and present complex biological data
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with other researchers as part of a team environment
What you’ll bring
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Protein Engineering, Biochemistry, Structural Biology or related field with 2 years’ relevant experience or, Masters’ degree with 5+ years’ relevant experience or Bachelor’s degree with 7+ years’ relevant experience with proven record of accomplishments
- Strong technical expertise in wide range of molecular biology and protein engineering techniques, including mutagenesis, molecular cloning, construct design, protein expression and purification, protein interaction characterization (ELISA, BIAcore) and sequence analysis
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Critical thinking with high degree of innovative and analytical skills
Note: Job title will be commensurate with experience and academic credentials
- Experience in antibody engineering research
- Working experience in hybridoma sequencing, FACS, cell-based immune function assays, or NGS data analysis
23andMe, Inc. is the leading personal genetics company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. 23andMe has over 2 million customers worldwide with ~ 85% consented to participate in research. More information about our Therapeutics team is available at https://mediacenter.23andme.com/therapeutics/.
At 23andMe we value a diverse, inclusive work force and we provide equal employment opportunity without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, religion, marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other class protected by federal, state or local law. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.