Terms of Service
Last Updated: June 8, 2022
Welcome to 23andMe Terms of Service
Like the As, Ts, Cs, and Gs that make up your DNA, our Terms of Service (what we call the “Terms”) make up the agreement between 23andMe, Inc. (“23andMe”) and you. These Terms govern your use and access to 23andMe’s products, software, services, and website (including but not limited to text, graphics, images, and other material and information) as accessed from time to time by you, regardless if the use is in connection with an account or not (collectively, the “Services”).
Please read the Terms carefully, and any policies, guidelines or rules applicable to such Services, as they constitute a legal agreement between 23andMe and you. We also encourage you to review our Privacy Statement for additional information. Of course, if you do not agree with our Terms or any other policies, then do not use the Services. You can delete your account from your Account Settings at any time.
These Terms apply to you if you live in the European Economic Area (inclusive of the European Union) (“EEA”), United Kingdom (“UK”), or Switzerland or if you access our Services in the EEA, UK, or Switzerland. If you live outside the EEA, UK, or Switzerland, please review the Terms available in the respective region specific to the 23andMe Services you access.
1. Who Can Use the Services
We believe everyone should be able to access, understand, and benefit from their genome. That said, there are a few restrictions about who can use our Services. By using the Services or creating an account, you represent, warrant and agree that:
- You can form a binding contract with 23andMe;
- You are not a person barred from receiving the Services under the laws of the jurisdiction from which you use the Services;
- You are at least 18 years old;
- Any sample you provide to 23andMe is either your own, or the sample of a minor for whom you are a parent or legal guardian, or the sample of a person for whom you are a legally authorized representative;
- The sample you provide is not from a bone marrow or stem cell recipient (Why? Click here more information);
- You are not an insurance company or an employer; and
- You will not use the Services for any investigative forensic genealogy uses.
Other Terms and Conditions
If you choose to use or purchase additional Services for a business or commercial purpose, or any purpose other than personal use, they may have their own terms and conditions. The specific terms and conditions associated with the use or purchase of additional Services are made a part of these Terms by this reference. Just like you agree to these Terms, you agree to abide by those additional terms and conditions too. If there is a conflict between these Terms and the additional terms for a specific portion of the Services, the additional terms will govern your use or purchase of the additional Services. 23andMe’s obligations, if any, with regard to Services are governed solely by the agreements according to which they are provided, and nothing presented through the Services should be construed to alter such agreements.
The following terms also govern and apply to your use of the Site, and they are incorporated herein by this reference:
- Membership Terms (Applicable to UK customers only)
- Important Test Info
Each of these terms and conditions may be changed from time to time. Once we post changes on the Services, they are effective immediately.
23andMe may make changes to the Terms in the future. If we make a material change to the Terms, we will notify you, such as posting a notice on our website or sending a message to the email address associated with your account. By continuing to access or use the Services, you agree to be bound by the revised Terms.
Risks and Considerations Regarding 23andMe Services
Once you obtain your Genetic Information, the knowledge is irrevocable. You should not assume that any information provided to you, whether now or as genetic research advances, will be welcome or positive. As research advances, you may need to obtain further Services from 23andMe, your physician, a genetic counselor, or other healthcare provider. We encourage you to talk to a genetic counselor to help you understand your results and testing options.
Some people feel a little anxious about getting genetic health results and you may learn information about yourself that you do not anticipate. This is normal. If you feel very anxious, you should speak to your physician or a genetic counselor prior to collecting your sample for testing. Additionally, you may discover things about yourself that trouble you and that you may not have the ability to control or change (e.g., your father is not genetically your father, surprising facts related to your ancestry, or that someone with your genotype may have a higher than average chance of developing a specific condition or disease).
The laboratory may not be able to process your sample, and the laboratory process may result in errors. The laboratory may not be able to process your sample up to 5% of the time if your saliva does not contain a sufficient volume of DNA, you do not provide enough saliva, or the results from processing do not meet our standards for accuracy.*
Here’s our policy on re-processing failed samples:
- If the initial processing fails for any of above reasons, we will reprocess the same sample at no charge to the user.
- If the second attempt to process the same sample fails, we will offer to send another sample collection kit to the user to collect a second sample at no charge.
- If the second attempt to process the sample is unsuccessful, (up to 0.65% of all samples fail the second attempt at testing according to 23andMe data obtained in 2019 for all genotype testing),* 23andMe will not send additional sample collection kits and the user will be entitled solely and exclusively to a complete refund of the amount paid to 23andMe, less shipping and handling, provided the user shall not resubmit another sample through a future purchase of the Service.
Note: If the user breaches this policy agreement and resubmits another sample through a future purchase of the Service and processing is not successful, 23andMe will not offer to reprocess the sample or provide the user a refund. Even for processing that meets our high standards, a small, unknown fraction of the data generated during the laboratory process may be un-interpretable or incorrect (referred to as “Errors”). As this possibility is known in advance, users are not entitled to refunds where these Errors occur.
You should not change your health behaviors solely on the basis of Genetic Information received from 23andMe.
23andMe’s Services are not intended to diagnose any condition or disease.
- For most common diseases, the genes we know about are only responsible for a small fraction of the risk. Your ethnicity, environmental factors, lifestyle choices are far more important predictors and may affect the relevance of each report and how your results may be interpreted.
- The Services are not intended to tell you anything about your current state of health, or to be used to make medical decisions, including whether or not you should take a medication, how much of a medication you should take, or determine any treatment.
- If you have concerns or questions about what you learn through 23andMe, you should contact your physician or other healthcare provider before making any lifestyle changes. Please note that genetic risk assessment is not applicable to results of carrier screening tests.
23andMe Services are for research, informational, and educational use only. We do not provide medical advice. Please note: the Genetic Information provided by 23andMe is for research, informational, and educational use only. This means two things.
- Many of the genetic discoveries that we report have not been clinically validated, and the technology we use, which is the same technology used by the research community, to date has not been widely used for clinical testing.
- Talk to your Healthcare provider. 23andMe does not endorse, warrant or guarantee the effectiveness of any specific course of action, resources, tests, physician or other healthcare providers, drugs, biologics, medical devices or other products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on our website. If we provide any recommendations and/or potential ways to take action, this information is intended for informational purposes only and for discussion with your physician or other healthcare provider. The Services are not intended to be used by the customer for any diagnostic purpose and are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Reliance on any information provided by 23andMe, 23andMe employees, others appearing on our website at the invitation of 23andMe, or other visitors to our website is solely at your own risk.
While we are licensed in the State of California as a clinical laboratory and do have a license to provide our Services in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Denmark, Finland, the Netherlands, and Sweden, not all jurisdictions require our Services to be subject to license. Therefore, we are not universally licensed by all state, federal, or international authorities for genetic testing conducted for health and disease-related purposes. In addition, there are certain jurisdictions in which we do not offer our Services because we do not have the required licenses.
Furthermore, to expand and accelerate the understanding and practical application of genetic knowledge in healthcare, we invite all eligible genotyped users to participate in 23andMe Research. When we use the term “Product Development”, it means research performed for the purpose of new product development and new product development activities performed by 23andMe on De-identified Information. These activities may include, among other things, improving our Services and/or offering new products or services to you; performing quality control activities; conducting data analysis that may lead to and/or include commercialization with a third party. Participation in such research is voluntary and based upon an Institutional Review Board-approved consent document.
*23andMe data on file.
2. Using the Services
In our Do’s and Don’ts list below, we describe what you can and cannot do while using the Services.
By accessing 23andMe Services, you agree to, acknowledge, and represent that:
- You give permission to 23andMe, its contractors, successors and assignees to analyze your submitted sample(s) and you specifically request 23andMe to disclose the results of analyses to you and to others you authorize.
- You acknowledge that 23andMe may offer different or additional technologies or features to collect and/or interpret your samples and information in the future, and that your initial purchase of the Service does not entitle you to any different or additional technologies or features for collection or interpretation of your samples or information without fee, and that you will have to pay additional fees in order to have your samples or information collected, processed, and/or interpreted using any future or additional technologies or features.
- You understand that by providing any sample, having your information processed, accessing your information, or providing information, you acquire no rights in any research or commercial products that may be developed by 23andMe or its collaborators. You specifically understand that you will not receive compensation for any research or commercial products that include or result from your information.
- You will follow the user conduct guidelines, as described below at all times.
- Your sample, once submitted to and analyzed by us, is processed in an irreversible manner and cannot be returned to you. See our website for more information on sample processing. Any information derived from your sample remains your information, subject to rights we retain as set forth in these Terms.
- By submitting an order through our Website, you are confirming that the payment details provided on your order are valid and correct.
As a condition of your use of the Services, you warrant to 23andMe that you will not use the Services for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these Terms, conditions, or notices. You may not use the Services in any manner that could damage, disable, overburden, or impair the Services or interfere with any other party’s use and enjoyment of the Services. You may not obtain or attempt to obtain any materials or information through any means not intentionally made available or provided for through the Services.
Furthermore you agree you will not to use the Services to:
- (1) upload, post, email, or otherwise transmit any material that is derogatory, defamatory, obscene, or offensive, such as slurs, epithets, or anything that might reasonably be construed as harassment or disparagement based on race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, religious or political beliefs, or other statutorily protected status;
- (2) impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, anyone affiliated with 23andMe, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- (3) add your own headers, forge headers, or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any content transmitted through the Service;
- (4) “stalk” or otherwise harass another;
- (5) upload, post, email, or otherwise transmit any content that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements);
- (6) use any information received through the Services to attempt to identify other customers, to contact other customers (other than through features for contacting other users such as DNA Relatives offered pursuant to the Services), or for any forensic use;
- (7) download any file posted by another user of the Service that you know, or reasonably should know, cannot legally be distributed in such manner;
- (8) upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other proprietary rights (“Rights”) of 23andMe or any other party;
- (9) harm minors in any way;
- (10) advertise or offer to sell or buy any goods or services for any business purpose, unless such area specifically allows such messages;
- (11) upload, post, email, or otherwise transmit any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, “junk mail,” “spam,” “chain letters,” “pyramid schemes,” or any other form of solicitation, except in those areas that are designated for such purpose and only to the extent such content is authorized by law;
- (12) upload, post, email, or otherwise transmit any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files, or programs designed to interrupt, destroy, or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- (13) use manual or automated software, devices, scripts robots, other means or processes to access, “scrape,” “crawl” or “spider” any web pages or other services contained in the site, unless explicitly permitted by 23andMe;
- (14) engage in “framing,” “mirroring,” or otherwise simulating the appearance or function of 23andMe’s website;
- (15) attempt to or actually override any security component of 23andMe web services;
- (16) interfere with or disrupt the Service or servers or networks connected to the Service, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies, or regulations of networks connected to the Service;
- (17) violate these Terms, any code of conduct or other guidelines which may be applicable for any particular area of the Service or have been communicated to you by anyone affiliated with 23andMe; or
- (18) intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national, or international law, or any regulations having the force of law.
Tracking Your Order
- Your 23andMe profile homepage displays the ongoing status of your order from the time you register your 23andMe Personal Genome Service kit until you receive your results. See https://www.23andMe.com/you.
- You can find out more information here about our typical timeframes for providing the Service and tracking your order:
- Please note that we only deliver sample collection kits to addresses in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
- Your estimated delivery date for your sample collection kits will be as set out in the email confirmation following your order.
- Although we will make every reasonable effort to ensure your sample kit and the results are delivered within the estimated timescales, unfortunately we cannot guarantee that they will not be affected by unforeseen issues affecting the Services or our delivery partner. For example, the laboratory may not be able to process your sample if your saliva does not contain a sufficient volume of DNA.
- Your order will be completed when we make your results available to you.
- If you have trouble finding out the status of your order or tracking its progress, please review our UK customer care area or our EU customer care area.
Cancellation and Refunds
- You have a legal right to cancel the contract between you and 23andMe within 14 days after the date on which you receive the order confirmation email (when 23andMe accepts your order). You can find more information about how to cancel an order in our UK Refunds Policy or EU Refunds Policy.
- In addition, you may have additional rights to a refund as set out in our UK Refunds Policy or EU Refunds Policy.
Model Cancellation Form To: 23andMe, Inc., 349 Oyster Point Blvd, South San Francisco, CA 94080 Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org I/We(*) hereby give notice that I/We(*) cancel my/our(*) contract for the provision of the following service(*): Ordered on(*) / received on(*): Name of consumer(s): Address of consumer(s): Signature of consumer (only if this form is notified on paper): Date: (*) Delete if not applicable
Violations of the Terms
You agree that 23andMe may, in its sole discretion and without prior notice, terminate your access to the Services. You also agree that any violation by you of these Terms including incorporated policies, such as the user conduct guidelines, will constitute an unlawful and unfair business practice, and will cause irreparable harm to 23andMe, for which monetary damages would be inadequate, and you consent to 23andMe obtaining any injunctive or equitable relief that 23andMe deems necessary or appropriate in such circumstances. These remedies are in addition to any other remedies 23andMe may have at law or in equity.
23andMe may preserve or disclose any information we have about you if we determine that such preservation or disclosure is necessary. Reasons for disclosure may include, but are not limited to: a connection with any investigation or complaint regarding your use of the Services, or to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) 23andMe’s rights or property, or the rights or property of visitors to or users of the Services, including 23andMe’s customers. 23andMe reserves the right to preserve or disclose any information that 23andMe deems necessary to comply with any applicable law, regulation, or valid legal process.
If 23andMe does take any legal action against you as a result of your violation of these Terms, 23andMe will be entitled to recover from you, and you agree to pay all reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs of such action, in addition to any other relief granted to 23andMe. You agree that 23andMe will not be liable to you or to any third party for termination of your access to the Services as a result of any violation or suspected violation of these Terms.
Accounts, Passwords and Security
To use certain Services, you may need to create an account. You agree to provide 23andMe with accurate, updated, and complete information for your account. Any parent or guardian who uses the Services on behalf of their child who is under 18 assumes full responsibility for ensuring the information that they provide to 23andMe about their child is kept secure and that the information submitted is accurate. You are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your 23andMe account, so it’s important to keep your account and password secure. If you think someone has gained access to your account, please contact our Customer Care Team immediately.
Your use of the Services is governed by our Privacy Statement. We encourage you to review our Privacy Statement to learn more about how we handle data.
Export Control and Applicable Laws and Regulations
Recognizing the global nature of the Internet, you agree to comply with all local rules regarding online conduct and acceptable content. Specifically, you agree 1) that providing your sample is not subject to any export ban or restriction in the country in which you reside, 2) that your sample and data may be transferred and/or processed outside the country in which you reside, and 3) that you will comply with all applicable laws regarding the transmission of technical data exported from the United States or the country from which you access any Service online.
3. Licensing and Intellectual Property Rights
“User Content” is all information, data, text, software, music, audio, photographs, graphics, video, messages, or other materials generated by users of the Services and transmitted, whether publicly or privately, to or through 23andMe. User Content does not include genetic or health information. To provide the Services to you, you must grant us a license to your User Content. We do not claim ownership of User Content, but you grant us a license to use it.
You give 23andMe, its affiliated companies, sublicensees and successors and assignees a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to host, reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, store, publicly display, distribute, reproduce, edit, reformat, and create derivative works from any User Content that you submit, post, or display on or through the Services. This license is fully-paid and royalty free, meaning we do not owe you anything else in connection with our use of your User Content. You acknowledge and agree that this license includes a right for 23andMe to make such User Content available to other companies, organizations, or individuals with whom 23andMe has relationships, and to use such User Content in connection with the provision of those services.
What does it mean to provide us with a license to your User Content? It means:
- You represent and warrant to 23andMe that you have all the rights, power, and authority necessary to grant the above license.
- Unless otherwise specified, you retain copyright and any other rights you already hold over User Content that you create and submit, post, or display on or through the Services.
- You acknowledge and agree that you, and not 23andMe, are entirely and solely responsible for all User Content that you upload, post, email, or otherwise transmit via the Service.
- You acknowledge that 23andMe and its designees have the right (but not the obligation) to modify, or remove any available User Content. Without limiting the foregoing, 23andMe and its designees shall have the right to remove any content that violates the Terms or is deemed by 23andMe, in its sole discretion, to be otherwise objectionable. You acknowledge and agree that you bear all risks associated with the use of any content, including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of such content.
- You understand that you should not expect any financial benefit from 23andMe as a result of having your information processed; made available to you; or, as provided in our Privacy Statement and these Terms, shared with or included in reports or data shared with any research collaborator.
23andMe does not check or moderate any User Content before it is added to the Service by users. We may later check, moderate, reject, refuse or delete any User Content if anybody objects to it, or we think that it breaches our Terms.
Any person may contact us by sending us an “Infringement” if any content available through our Service infringes their rights or fails to comply with our Terms. The Infringement Notice should be sent either by post to our address at
23andMe, Inc. ATTN: Legal 349 Oyster Point Blvd, South San Francisco, CA 94080, United States of America or by email to email@example.com.
Please provide the information described below in the Infringement Notice:
- your name and contact details;
- a statement explaining in sufficient detail why you consider that the content available through our Service infringes your rights or fails to comply with our Terms; and
- a link to or such other means of identifying the problematic content.
We will take the action that we believe is appropriate depending on the nature of the Infringement Notice and will aim to respond to you within a reasonable period of time on the action we propose to take.
Other than User Content, all text, graphics, user interfaces, visual interfaces, photographs, trademarks, logos, sounds, music, artwork and computer code (collectively, “Content”), including but not limited to the design, structure, selection, coordination, expression, “look and feel” and arrangement of such Content, contained on the Services is owned, controlled or licensed by or to 23andMe, and is protected by trade dress, copyright, patent and trademark laws, and various other intellectual property rights and unfair competition laws.
23andMe grants you a limited license to copy and distribute free of charge any information contained in 23andMe products and Services (such as data sheets, knowledge base articles, and similar materials) purposely made available by 23andMe for sharing or downloading from the Services, with the exception of Content from “MD’s Perspectives” in the “For the Experts” section of the website, provided that you do not:
- Remove any proprietary notice language in all copies of such documents;
- Copy or post such information on any networked computer or broadcast it in any media;
- Make modifications to any such information;
- Make any additional representations or warranties relating to such documents; and,
- Use such information for your non-personal, commercial purpose(s).
- 23andMe warrants that its products will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for the period of time applicable to such product. This warranty and any other product warranties, expressed or implied, are only valid on products purchased from 23andMe.com or from one of our official authorized retail partners.
- 23andMe does not support the unauthorized resale of its products, and 23andMe is unable to ensure the quality of its products when sold by unauthorized sellers or through unauthorized channels. We strongly encourage our customers to purchase only from 23andMe.com or from one of our official authorized retail partners. 23andMe does not extend any warranty or satisfaction guarantee to products purchased from unauthorized resellers. We reserve the right to cancel orders and/or block future 23andMe.com purchases by customers that appear to be purchasing items for resale on third-party sites, or found to be using multiple accounts to attempt to surpass any quantity limits.
Product Diversion and Resale of 23andMe Products
- Only our authorized retail partners are permitted to resell 23andMe products. No other parties are authorized to sell 23andMe products or purchase products from 23andMe.com or from an authorized retail partner for the purpose of reselling the products. No person or entity, without the express written consent of 23andMe, is authorized to sell on any e-commerce platform, such as, but not limited to, Amazon, eBay or Walmart. Authorized retail partners are prohibited from, and shall take reasonable steps to avoid, selling to any third party that intends to resell 23andMe products. In the event an authorized retail partner becomes aware, or is informed by 23andMe, that it is selling products to an unauthorized reseller, such authorized retail partner shall immediately cease doing business with such unauthorized reseller.
- Authorized retail partners agree to handle and store all 23andMe products in accordance with the Material Safety Data Sheets and any other 23andMe requirements, which are provided to authorized retail partners. Additionally, all products must be stored in secure, climate-controlled facilities. To ensure the safety and well-being of consumers, all authorized retail partners agree to cooperate with 23andMe with respect to any product recalls or other consumer safety information dissemination efforts. Authorized retail partners further agree to maintain customer service phone and email response functions to handle customer complaints, returns and other customer service functions. Authorized retail partners further agree to represent 23andMe products with current images of the products and offerings. Unauthorized retailers do not have any licenses to any 23andMe copyright or trademark rights.
- Authorized retail partners shall only sell 23andMe products in their original packaging. Relabeling, repackaging, and other alterations to 23andMe products or their packaging is not permitted. Tampering with, defacing, or otherwise altering any serial number, UPC code, batch or lot code, SKU or other identifying information on products or their packaging is prohibited. Authorized retail partners may not remove, translate, or modify the contents of any label or literature on or accompanying the products. Authorized retail partners shall not use 23andMe trademarks, logos, icons, product names, taglines, and slogans supplied by 23andMe, other than as permitted by 23andMe. Authorized retail partners shall promptly take down any use of 23andMe trademarks that 23andMe requests to be taken down. Authorized retail partners shall not advertise, market, display, or demonstrate non-23andMe products together with 23andMe products in a manner that would create the impression that the non-23andMe products are made by, endorsed by, or associated with 23andMe. For legitimate business reasons, certain authorized retail partners, who have the written consent of 23andMe, are not required to strictly comply with the foregoing provisions.
- Promptly upon receipt of 23andMe products, authorized retail partners must inspect the products for damage, defects, evidence of tampering, product expiration, or other non-conformances. If any defect is identified, such defected product must not be offered for sale and must promptly be reported to 23andMe.
4. Disclaimers and Limitation of Liability
You agree to defend and hold 23andMe, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, contractors, partners, employees, successors, and assigns harmless from any claim, or demand, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of User Content you submit, post to, or transmit through the Service; your use of the Service; your connection to the Service; your violation of the Terms; or your violation of any rights of another.
If you have submitted a sample or otherwise provided your own information, you will defend and hold harmless 23andMe, its employees, contractors, successors, and assignees from any liability arising out of the use or disclosure of any information obtained from analyzing your sample and/or analyzing your information, which is disclosed to you consistent with our Privacy Statement or results from any third-party add-ons to tools we provide. In addition, if you choose to provide your information to third parties - whether individuals to whom you facilitate access, intentionally or inadvertently, or to third parties for diagnostic or other purposes - you agree to defend and hold harmless 23andMe, its employees, contractors, successors, and assignees from any and all liability arising from such disclosure or use of your information.
Disclaimer of Warranties
ALTHOUGH 23ANDME ATTEMPTS TO PROVIDE THE SERVICES USING A COMMERCIALLY REASONABLE LEVEL OF SKILL AND CARE, AS SET OUT IN THIS SECTION, THERE ARE CERTAIN THINGS THAT WE DO NOT PROMISE ABOUT OUR SERVICES.
YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT: (1) YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES ARE AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, 23ANDME EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. (2) 23ANDME MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT (a) THE SERVICES WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS; (b) THE SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, UNFAILINGLY SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE; (c) THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF THE SERVICES WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE; (d) THE QUALITY OF ANY PRODUCTS, SERVICES, INFORMATION, OR OTHER MATERIAL PURCHASED OR OBTAINED BY YOU THROUGH THE SERVICES WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS AND (e) ANY ERRORS IN THE SOFTWARE WILL BE CORRECTED. (3) ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SERVICES IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF ANY SUCH MATERIAL. YOU ARE ADVISED TO BACK-UP OR STORE SECURELY YOUR CONTENT AND USER CONTENT. (4) NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM 23ANDME OR THROUGH OR FROM THE SERVICES SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THE TERMS AND SHALL NOT BE RELIED UPON AS MEDICAL ADVICE. (5) YOU SHOULD ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN GIVING OUT ANY PERSONALLY IDENTIFYING INFORMATION ABOUT YOURSELF OR THOSE FOR WHOM YOU HAVE LEGAL AUTHORITY. 23ANDME DOES NOT CONTROL OR ENDORSE ANY ACTIONS RESULTING FROM YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE SERVICES AND, THEREFORE, 23ANDME SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY LIABILITY WITH REGARD TO ANY ACTIONS RESULTING FROM YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE SERVICES. DUE TO THE INHERENT NATURE OF SOFTWARE, THE INTERNET, TELECOMMUNICATIONS NETWORKS AND WEBSITES, 23ANDME DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT THE SERVICES WILL BE AVAILABLE WHEN YOU WANT TO USE THEM, ERROR-FREE OR THAT ANY COMMUNICATIONS MADE USING THE SERVICES OR ANY INFORMATION OR CONTENT PROVIDED THROUGH THE SERVICES WILL BE SECURE. CERTAIN TERMS MAY BE AUTOMATICALLY INCLUDED INTO THIS AGREEMENT BY LAW. THESE TERMS RELATE TO THE QUALITY OF THE SERVICE PROVIDED, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. TO THE EXTENT THAT 23ANDME IS ALLOWED DO SO BY LAW, WE EXCLUDE THESE TERMS FROM THIS AGREEMENT. 23ANDME DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT THE SERVICES ARE FREE OF VIRUSES AND OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS AND 23ANDME WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE TO YOU FOR ANY DAMAGE ARISING FROM ANY VIRUS OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENT IN ANY OF THE SERVICES.
23ANDME DOES NOT HAVE ANY OBLIGATION TO VERIFY THE IDENTITY OF OR SCREEN THE PERSONS USING THE SERVICES. 23ANDME DOES NOT HAVE ANY OBLIGATION TO MONITOR THE USE OF THE SERVICES BY OTHER USERS OF THE SERVICE. AS SUCH, 23ANDME WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU SUFFER AS A RESULT OF YOUR INTERACTIONS WITH AND THE CONDUCT OF OTHER USERS AND FOR IDENTITY THEFT OR ANY OTHER MISUSE OF YOUR IDENTITY OR INFORMATION. BECAUSE WE CANNOT CONTROL THE BEHAVIOR OF OUR USERS 23ANDME DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS OR USEFULNESS OF ANY USER CONTENT OR ADOPT, ENDORSE OR ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE CONDUCT OF ANY USERS OR FOR THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY OPINION, ADVICE OR STATEMENTS THEY MAKE.
Limitation of Liability
WITHIN THE LIMITS ALLOWED BY APPLICABLE LAWS, YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT 23ANDME SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, USE, DATA OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES (EVEN IF 23ANDME HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES), RESULTING FROM: (a) THE USE OR THE INABILITY TO USE THE SERVICES; (b) ANY ACTION YOU TAKE BASED ON THE INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE IN, THROUGH OR FROM THE SERVICES, (c) YOUR FAILURE TO KEEP YOUR PASSWORD OR ACCOUNT DETAILS SECURE AND CONFIDENTIAL, (d) THE COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS AND SERVICES RESULTING FROM ANY GOODS, DATA, INFORMATION, OR SERVICES PURCHASED OR OBTAINED OR MESSAGES RECEIVED OR TRANSACTIONS ENTERED INTO THROUGH OR FROM THE SERVICES; (e) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA; (f) THE IMPROPER AUTHORIZATION FOR THE SERVICES BY SOMEONE CLAIMING SUCH AUTHORITY; or (g) STATEMENTS OR CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY ON THE SERVICES.
5. Dispute Resolution and Arbitration
Applicable Law and Arbitration
For any dispute with 23andMe, you will first contact us at UK request form or EU request form and attempt to resolve the dispute with us informally. In the unlikely event that 23andMe has not been able to resolve a dispute it has with you after attempting to do so informally, we will discuss with you and agree the most effective way of resolving our dispute using mediation or arbitration based on the nature of our dispute. Nothing in this section shall prevent either of us from seeking injunctive (emergency) relief or other equitable relief from the courts for matters relating to data security, intellectual property or any other proprietary rights.
These Terms shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales. If you are a consumer, you may bring any dispute which may arise under this Agreement to - at your discretion - either the competent court of England, or to the competent court of your country of habitual residence if this country of habitual residence is within the UK or is an EU Member State, which courts are - with the exclusion of any other court - competent to settle any of such a dispute. We shall bring any dispute which may arise under this Agreement to the competent court of your country of habitual residence if this is within the UK or is an EU Member State. If we direct the Services to the country in which you are resident, you will benefit from any mandatory provisions of the law of the country in which you are resident and nothing in this Agreement affects your rights as a consumer to rely on such mandatory provisions of local law.
6. Other things to know
Modifications, Termination and Survival
Modification. 23andMe reserves the right at any time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Services (or any part thereof) with or without notice. If you violate the Terms and/or 23andMe has a reasonable ground to suspect that you have violated the Terms, 23andMe has the right to suspend or terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of the Services (or any portion thereof).
Termination. 23andMe may also at any time, terminate its legal agreement with you if: (1) you have breached the Terms or incorporated policies, such as the user conduct guidelines (or have acted in manner which shows that you do not intend to, or are unable to comply with, the provisions of the Terms); (2) 23andMe is required to do so by law (for example, where the provision of the Services to you is, or becomes, unlawful); (3) the partner with whom 23andMe offered the Services to you has terminated its relationship with 23andMe or ceased to offer the Services to you; (4) 23andMe is transitioning to no longer providing the Services to users in the country or state in which you reside or from which you use the Services; or (5) the provision of the Services to you by 23andMe is, in 23andMe’s opinion, no longer commercially viable. Any suspected fraudulent, abusive, or illegal activity that may be grounds for termination of your use of the Services may be referred to appropriate law enforcement authorities. You acknowledge and agree that 23andMe shall not be liable to you or any third party for any termination of your access to the Services, and you will defend and indemnify 23andMe and its affiliates against any liability, costs, or damages arising out of the breach of the representation.
Survival of Terms. When the Terms come to an end, regardless of who terminates them, both you and 23andMe will continue to be bound by all but the following sections: Payment, Tracking Your Order, Cancellation and Refunds, Limited License, Modifications, and Survival of Terms.
Hyperlinks and the 23andMe Website
The Service provides, and third parties may provide, links to other sites and resources on the Internet. Because 23andMe has no control over such sites and resources, you acknowledge and agree that 23andMe is not responsible for the availability of such external sites or resources, and does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such sites or resources. You should read the terms and conditions, including privacy policies, of any third parties to understand the rules and policies governing your use of their services or products.
Entire Agreement. The Terms make up the entire agreement between you and 23andMe, and supersedes any prior agreements. You also may be subject to additional terms and conditions that may apply when you use affiliate services, third-party content, or third-party software.
Waiver. If we do not enforce a provision in these Terms, it will not be considered a waiver.
Severability Clause. If any portion of these Terms is found to be unenforceable, the remaining portion will remain in full force and effect.
Assignment. You may not assign or delegate any rights or obligations under this agreement. Any purported assignment and delegation shall be ineffective. We may freely assign or delegate all rights and obligations under this agreement, fully or partially without notice to you. We may also substitute, by way of unilateral novation, effective upon notice to you, 23andMe for any third party that assumes our rights and obligations under this agreement.
Notices to you may be made via either email or regular mail. 23andMe may also provide notices of changes to the Terms or other matters by displaying notices or links to notices to you generally on or through the Services. Official notices must be sent to us at:
ATTN: General Counsel
349 Oyster Point Blvd,
South San Francisco, CA 94080
Additionally, 23andMe accepts service of process at this address. Any notices that you provide without compliance with this section on Notices shall have no legal effect.