Join our gene pool.
Legal and Regulatory Affairs
Mountain View, California, United States
We are seeking an extraordinary Corporate Counsel who is looking to work in a very fast-paced, dynamic environment to manage a wide variety of commercial agreements, including technology agreements, software licenses, and services agreements, and focus on privacy and data protection issues. You are experienced in handling a wide range of legal issues cross-functionally, both independently as well as with external counsel, and looking to grow expertise in privacy and data protection matters.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you'll do
You will be responsible for providing counsel across various areas of the business, including reviewing commercial and business agreements and focusing on privacy and data protection issues. Specifically, you will be responsible for a variety of privacy regulatory matters and ensure that our agreements and transactions comply with privacy and data regulations, including with regards to the GDPR. We are looking for a candidate who is eager to learn a cutting edge business and will provide excellent legal advice and leadership to our growing company.
- Draft, review and negotiate commercial agreements, including technology agreements, software licenses, services agreements and other operational agreements.
- Lead 23andMe’s global corporate privacy and information security compliance program, regulatory compliance (GDPR and State laws), data governance, and security infrastructure.
- Develop standards for privacy and security matters in contracts and transactions.
- Provide advice, strategic support and education to business clients about product and strategic initiatives and other corporate matters.
- Draft and develop forms, policies, processes and trainings to support scalability. Support on day-to-day management of general affairs of Legal Department.
Who you are:
- J.D. from accredited law school and at least 4 years of relevant experience in top-tier law firm or in-house.
- Member of California Bar.
- Consistent track record of counseling clients in the day-to-day operation of a business.
- Understanding of the GDPR, FTC regulations, HIPAA, ISO, and state consumer privacy and consumer protection regulations.
- Strong counseling skills and expertise in conveying complex legal and risk concepts in ‘plain English’ to internal clients.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to effectively communicate with partners across the organization.
- You are a go-getter willing to roll up your sleeves; a self-starter with a sense of humor.
Note: For this position, we are looking for Bay Area local candidates only.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.