Join our gene pool.
Legal and Regulatory Affairs
Mountain View, California, United States
We are seeking an exceptional Corporate Counsel who desires to work in an extremely fast-paced environment to draft, review, and negotiate commercial agreements, including technology agreements, marketing agreements, software licenses, and services agreements. You are experienced in handling a wide range of legal issues cross-functionally, from marketing to IT, as well as with external counsel.
Who we are
Since 2006, 23andMe’s mission has been to help people access, understand, and benefit from the human genome. We are a group of passionate individuals pushing the boundaries of what’s possible to help turn genetic insight into better health and personal understanding.
What you'll do
You will be responsible for reviewing both general business terms as well as privacy and data protection issues. In addition to your transactional work, you will also support the Marketing Team and the Privacy Function. In support of the marketing team, you will counsel on a wide range of marketing initiatives, and provide advertising and promotional review. You will also be responsible for a variety of privacy regulatory compliance and policy matters, including with regards to the GDPR.
The Corporate Counsel must be exceedingly well-organized, flexible and enjoy the challenges of working on diverse issues on a daily basis. You are a fast-learner, adaptable, performs well under pressure, willing to roll up their sleeves and enjoys developing creative and practical solutions.
- Draft, review and negotiate commercial agreements, including technology agreements, marketing agreements, software licenses, and services agreements, including agreements with SaaS and cloud-based companies.
- Provide leadership and support on privacy and security matters and standards in contracts and transactions.
- Assisting and participating with the development of customer and partner contract templates, policies, procedures and programs, and providing related legal function templates and training as the organization grows.
- Draft and develop forms, policies, processes and trainings to support scalability. Support on day-to-day management of general affairs of Legal Department.
- Review consumer, business and brand advertising across all channels (digital, television and print) to ensure that content is legally compliant.
- Advise teams on marketing and promotional initiatives (email, telemarketing, contests, sweepstakes and giveaways).
- Provide teams with legal advice on marketing across broad areas, including consumer facing brand marketing to ensure compliance with advertising, IP,and consumer protection laws and regulations, as well as other legal requirements.
- Master full scope of the 23andMe’s global corporate privacy and information security compliance program, regulatory compliance (GDPR, FTC, State laws), data governance, and security infrastructure.
- Counsel internal teams on a variety of regulations and policy initiatives, including the GDPR, HITECH, and HIPAA.
Who you are:
- J.D. from accredited law school and at least 4 years of relevant experience in top-tier law firm or in-house.
- Member of California Bar.
- Experience counseling clients in the day-to-day operation of a business. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to translate complex legal issues into “plain English” and ability to effectively communicate with stakeholders across the organization.
- Understanding of the GDPR, FTC regulations, HIPAA, ISO, and state consumer privacy and consumer protection regulations.
- Strong counseling skills and ability to convey legal and risk concepts to internal clients.
- Ability to quickly gain fluency in new subject matter areas.
- A self-starter with a sense of humor.
Note: For this position, we are looking for Bay Area local candidates only.
23andMe, Inc. is the leading consumer genetics and research company. Our mission is to help people access, understand and benefit from the human genome. The company was named by MIT Technology Review to its “50 Smartest Companies, 2017” list, and named one of Fast Company’s “25 Brands That Matter Now, 2017”. 23andMe has over 5 million customers worldwide, with ~85 percent of customers consented to participate in research. 23andMe is located in Mountain View, CA. More information is available at www.23andMe.com.
At 23andMe, we value a diverse, inclusive workforce and we provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to an individual’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws. If you are unable to submit your application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com. 23andMe will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities to the extent required by applicable law.
Please note: 23andMe does not accept agency resumes and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes. Thank you.